Assistance needed for Pflueger reel disassembly

Lunker Larry

Hey everyone. Looking for a bit of assistance. I have a Pflueger low profile baitaster that I want to clean and oil. Trouble is, I can't get the side off. It seems to be connected to the front piece somehow preventing me from removing it. There are only 3 screws to remove on this reel and they are all on the handle side. Been trying all afternoon and have not been able to crack it open. There is no indication on the front piece or the left side to indicate how to remove them. I assume they snap on somehow but I don't want to force anything.

Not sure if this is the model or not but it has the #304 on the reel foot and the letters PFLP on it. It is a grey/silver 4 BB. A cheap reel but pretty good.

There has to be a trick to opening it up. Anyone out there have any experience with this type? I haven't been able to find anything on the internet. Found some comments regarding other Pflueger reels stating that they are not made to be opened and serviced. That seems odd to me.

Anyway, appreciate your time on this.

Thanks.

Larry

And here is the motherload of all schematics ... you should be able to find your reel in this place ...

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/thumbnails.php?album=9

If you havent already tried, tighten the star drag all the way and then try turning the handle backwards towards you ...

Edited by camillj

Thanks to Garry2Rs I was able to open the reel. Tried that earlier but had no luck. Looked at the reel again and figured that had to be the only way to open it up. Strained until I was shaking and it finally gave showing a screw that goes through to the other side.

Thanks again everyone and especially Garry2rs. I'm a happy camper.

Tight lines to all. Appreciate the help

Larry

Edited by Lunker Larry

Thanks to Garry2Rs I was able to open the reel. Tried that earlier but had no luck. Looked at the reel again and figured that had to be the only way to open it up. Strained until I was shaking and it finally gave showing a screw that goes through to the other side.

Thanks again everyone and especially Garry2rs. I'm a happy camper.

Tight lines to all. Appreciate the help

Larry

If I remember correctly you tighten the drag as tight as possible and back wind the crank.

If I remember correctly you tighten the drag as tight as possible and back wind the crank.

NBR - not for this reel. The left side twists off to give access to a long screw to the other side of the reel. My problem was the spring clip and the small peg it hooks on to was rusted.