steelhead or rainbow

beginner

Hi.. Ladies and Gents first of all I've been reading alot of good news (fishing) and seeing alot of pic how they had a good success..Even though before I'm not a member in this forum I always check whats happening.. I see lots of people here are willing to share there knowledge and willing to help.. I know that Im just new here and hoping to learn from people here..

Im just knew to rainbow or steelhead fishing tried 5 times and Im not quiting lol.. been to Niagara Falls Whirlpool, Port Hope, Duffins Creek and Colonel Danforth but always no luck.. Is there anyway I could ask some tips from people here... what to look for from rivers or stream Or maybe can share some places.. I used roe bags, Am I in a right track? Do I need to used something else?? I also do practice catch and release..

Im from Toronto and willing to drive up..

any help would gladly appreciated.. thnx in advance!

bfisherman

If you are new to trout fishing, here are a few things that will help. First, try to use finesse presentations. Light line, small hooks floats and weights. Next, remove unnecessary tackle, snaps, swivels etc. Less terminal tackle is better. Last, use the current to bring your presentation to the fish. Try to let your offering drift at the same speed as the current.

Trout have excellent vision. So clear shallow streams can make it difficult for even 'experts' to catch fish. Try to fish early or late in the day when its clear. And if there's some rain, it should reduce the clarity of most rivers. That's a good time to fish trout. Just use bigger roe bags.

Lots of other presentations work. Spinners spoons, rapalas. Just need to experiment.

Already a good amount of info above. Don't disregard the afternoon bite this time of year when the water is cold. The sun in the afternoon can raise the temps a couple degree's and thats enough to get steelhead in the feeding mood. I prefer the afternoons anyways cause most of the time I have the pools all to myself :)

Also if your up for it experiment with different flies. They "can" out produce spawn or worms this time of year as well. Usually a black stone pattern will do the trick. See my reports from over the past few weeks and that may help you out making a decision whether or not to use artificials to natural bait.

DSC03047.jpg

I had many skunked outtings before I even thought of using flies, Chris is giving you some great advice. If you can, pay attention to "Going steeleheading tomorrow anyobody wanna tag along?" threads. Fishing with someone is the best way to learn and there are many outgoing people on this fish who have a lot of wisdom to pass on.

My last comment has to do with gear. As with most fishing applications, more money = better gear = better opportunities. However, I've been using a $100 float rod, and 200$ reel (pretty much bear minimum for a centerpin) for two years and have never been in a situation that urged me to upgrade. My point is, you don't necessarily need to spend 500$ on an outfit but theres 3 pretty general things that most steeleheaders use:

1. Waders - it's November and getting wet will ruin your day in a hurry. Check out a recent thread about waders for beginner info

2. Long rod - Many people use 13' rods. There are several reasons for a longer rod, but personally I've used an 11'er and I've been happy with it. Also, the bigger the rod, the more awkward it is to walk through the forest or even store it at home.

3. Centerpin - For a beginner, these can be very frusterating, but once you master the casting technique, this will be your best friend. Some guys here love their pins so much that they use them for any application possible (carp, bass, panfish). If I were you, I would hold off on the reel for at least a few outtings, and just use a decent spinning reel. Your presentation won't be as good, but it might save you a few headaches from tangles or casting.

Hope this helps, see you out there

thnx for all the reply.. helps and tips... I have 13ft rod wid reel, still can afford the centerfin.. hopefully next spring.. i just bought the rod.. cant spend more.. I also bought a wader last week.. the only thing I need now is what to look for out there.. I think? lol or Am I missing something?

Probably the best advice I can add is to try and stick to a few different streams when starting out. Once you get more familiar with the body of water success will come, I find usually my first time fishing a new body of water (unless I am with someone who knows it) is not a huge success.

In terms of reading a river there are lots of books and websites to take you through the basics but really you need to actually experience it to get better.

For a start, you've been to four different places in 5 trips, probably best to concentrate on one or two and learn them rather than constantly changing. If you fish fewer bodies of water more often you have a better chance of being there when they're running.

Next bear in mind that unlike other species of trout, steelhead are migratory, they don't live in rivers, they're going upstream to spawn at which point they'll turn round and go back to the lake (not quite that simple but you get the idea). This means you need to look for spots they'll stop on the journey to rest before and after major exertion like going up rapids or faster stretches of water and they'll be out of the main current either behind something or to the side of the main flow (looking at bubbles on the surface will give you an idea of relative cuurent speed).

I can't offer much technique help I'm afraid as I fly fish for them

I went out today.. whole day, but its

been raining and nothings seems to bite, water color was brown.. I guess next time I will not go if it rain so hard the day after.. anyway Its another zero for me..

I will put that in mind that stay in one stream and get familiar.. all the reply is been helpful.. I'm getting the Idea.. I'll be back again in sat..i will try all the step I learn from you guys.. thnx again everyone

yes I am.. I joined here because I dont see enough people there willing to help.. feels like the site is dead.. you post 1 topic in their you will see a

reply next week.. so you member there to huh..

Yes I WAS. I felt the same as you...although that Igor guys puts up some amazing reports doesn't he?

Welcome to the forum Bfish. You'll like it here...i'm pretty new as well but so far, other than Gerrit who i think winked at my GF,jerry.gif the members and the admins do a great job at contributing to the forum.

thnx rod.. I know Igor posting are great and beamer.. but they never contribute.. they keep everything for

themselves :)

good to see you here man.. I like here, even when I just look around and read the amazing some of the amzing post.. makes me wanna catch a fish lol.. and everyone is seems to pitch in 1 or 2 how the other guy had a great time.. thats what the other forum is missing :)

Torco and Cuzza have it right on once you have the gear. Fish the crap out of a single river and get to know it. Once you know it, you'll be less frustrated with snags and you can have a planned route to get in and around the river. This will save you loads of time.

POLARIZED SUNGLASSES! Eastern tribs are generally shallow and run clear a lot of the time. This will allow you to see fish and more importantly how your bait is reacting in the water. Steelhead can be very hard to see depending on the water conditions so when the water is greenish/dirty, just drift every chance you get. It is also good for eye protection.

One more thing when fishing for steelhead. I used to drift the same pool over and over and over. I know there are fish there but they aren't biting (assuming your drifts are going fine). Move on! Steelhead are easy to catch when they want to feed. If not, you'll be just wasting your time. Sure you might catch one eventually, but you could have had more looking for active fish.

One more thing when fishing for steelhead. I used to drift the same pool over and over and over. I know there are fish there but they aren't biting (assuming your drifts are going fine). Move on! Steelhead are easy to catch when they want to feed. If not, you'll be just wasting your time. Sure you might catch one eventually, but you could have had more looking for active fish.

Although most will agree, especially wth your last statement about active fish, your first statement I have to somewhat disagree.

First of all, why try to go find more fish if there is fish in front of you? Gve those fish an offering of everything you have tried that works! THEN MOVE ON! Finding out what turns those "off fish" on, wil land you a bunch of fish. I cant count the number of times I'm standing over 20 fish, and I put on the magic bait and pump out 5 fish in a half hour.

Although most will agree, especially wth your last statement about active fish, your first statement I have to somewhat disagree.

First of all, why try to go find more fish if there is fish in front of you? Gve those fish an offering of everything you have tried that works! THEN MOVE ON! Finding out what turns those "off fish" on, wil land you a bunch of fish. I cant count the number of times I'm standing over 20 fish, and I put on the magic bait and pump out 5 fish in a half hour.

Couldn't agree with you more Dozer. Where I fish there are limited pools that are deep enough to hold fish so I fish them exclusively. Thats how I came upon the black bugger after trying other presentations . The fish were there the hole time but I had to just give them what they really wanted the most and wham,fish on !!