Saltwater Reel vs. Freshwater Reel

cwpowell

As the title states, what is the difference between these two types of spinning reels?

Thanks in advance guys.

Hi there. I've had an ID here for a while, but haven't been compelled to post anything yet.

As to your question, some high-end saltwater reels have a 'sealed' drag system, with a rubber washer that keeps the brine out of your gears. However, I have fished many, many hours in saltwater with gear that was only ever intended for fresh. Mind you, I was very meticulous about cleaning my gear after each use, and I used a lubricant that was saltwater repellent. I would assume that you are asking because you will be doing some fishing in the salt. If this is the case, I would just use the gear that you've got, and clean it thoroughly the same day that you use it.

Well truth be told, I was looking on the bass pro website thinking about purchasing a new reel, or two and noticed the salt water section apart from the freshwater and saw a lot of nice reels in the saltwater section.

Yeah, well that would be the other difference! High quality drags, all-metal, and so on. Go for the Saltiga! lol. The Diawa Tierra is a nice affordable reel with a sealed drag, all-metal, etc.

TUNA - CURTIN.jpg