Help a rookie with his new setup

GordieHowe

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a Daiwa Tierra. I usually fish the lakes (Rice, Simcoe, Kawarthas, etc.) for walleyes and sm/lm bass. From what I gather, 2500 seems to be a popular size for general purpose. Any good reason I should move up to a 3000? Also, I'm not really sure how line capacity ratings work. I was thinking about getting 150 yards of 20 lbs. test Sufix Performance Braid. Will this not fit on the spool? Should I not even be getting 20 lbs. test? :huh:

Thanks guys, any advice for this rookie would be appreciated.

Stick with the 2500. 3000 will be too large to balance with most bass and walleye rods. You may even consider moving down to a 2000 size. A little lighter and more compact than the 2500, but still plenty of line capacity. As far as braid goes, 20lb is doable, but I prefer to drop down to 15lb on a spinning reel. Fill the spool halfway with some regular mono that matches the diameter of the braid, then top it off with the braided line. A spool of braid can fill both spools this way.

What, did you buy a vowel Snag? :D

Joey

Oooooo,

The pretty cooler celebrity lady wins a prize for First sighting!

You've won:

My eternal respect.

I bow to your cyber feet, o' gracious lady of the electronic medium

xoxox

Stick with the 2500. 3000 will be too large to balance with most bass and walleye rods. You may even consider moving down to a 2000 size. A little lighter and more compact than the 2500, but still plenty of line capacity. As far as braid goes, 20lb is doable, but I prefer to drop down to 15lb on a spinning reel. Fill the spool halfway with some regular mono that matches the diameter of the braid, then top it off with the braided line. A spool of braid can fill both spools this way.

You're losing me. :dunno: How does one "top off" a spool with a different line? Do you just tie them together? Aside from cost, why would I use mono to fill the spool halfway? Sorry guys, I'm quite new at this. With 15 lbs. test, should I be worried about the line breaking if by some miracle I hook a big fat bass over 15 lbs.?

Last season I used 20 lb. Rapala Titanium Braid.

You're good with 20lb braid, I'm pretty sure the mono equivalent is either 6lb or 8lbtest. Filling up halfway with mono is a good idea to keep your costs down, (you can fill half way with cheap mono and spend a few extra dollars on good quality braid and have enough to fill an extra spool). Stick with a 2500 size, it's a good general purpose reel that would work great for walleye, bass, and even pike. A nice medium action rod and you'll be good to go.

A good quality reel,2000 or 2500 series. I dont know anything about Daiwa reels. I use Shimano. The quality of the drag is vital. If you hook a fish with a weight over the rating of your line the drag is adjusted so the fish can take the line off the spool without breakage. The mono line is mostly a filler for the spool but also serves to prevent the more slippery braid from slipping on the spool. I have caught 20 lb pike on 6lb test line with a properly adjusted drag. The lighter the line you use will create ease of casting and less tangles. The biggest mistake I see with new fisherpeople is a spool that is not filled close to the lip. Stretching the line out after you spool it will help avoid tangles too.Use a line that has little or no "memory" I like fireline but have not tried some other types that others here have mentioned. Gotta go. ....Bernie