Different Types Of Fishing Besides Cast & Retrieve

98Fahrenheit

BOTTOM FISHING

Fishing in a lake has so many options. This page will show you what to do when you are fishing from the bank/shore. There are many baits you can use in this application but the basics are dew worms, flavored marshmallows or Power Bait.

The Power Bait comes in a few different styles, all of which float: Nuggets, Eggs or Paste. The floating characteristics is what makes them so effective.

It is important to keep your line taut while waiting for a bite. That means before you put your rod in a rod holder or lean it up against something, you need to reel in the line until the rod tip bends slightly. This way you will be able to sense even the lightest bite.

BottomFish.jpg

BOBBER/FLOAT FISHING

Bobber/Float - Will depend on the type of fishing you are going to attempt.

Red and White:

Are the less expensive spring catch bobbers which are easy to attach to your main line but are easily broken if they are not cared for. Although, they are less expensive, I do not recommend these when taking your children.

They are available in various sizes but the 3/4・to 1・sizes are most common.

Slip Bobbers:

These bobbers are great for fishing varied depths and conditions. These bobbers require a bobber stop above the bobber and if you do not want to lose them, a bobber stop below. The depth is easily adjusted by sliding the bobber stops until you find the desired length.

With slip bobbers the main line is fed through the bobber and tied directly to your swivel, jighead or hook.

Float and Fly:

Using specialty floats for casting flies is a very effective and easy way to fish either the stillwaters or small streams and creeks. However, some of these floats require the angler to tie the main line to the top and a leader from the bottom to the fly.

The great thing about these floats is they can be used for every other type of bobber fishing and are very durable. One of my favorites is the Adjust-A-Bubble. This float is well weighted and has a rubber band that you twist which holds the line snug. No need for leaders or bobber stops and if you want more distance all to need to do is fill up the body with water and give it a cast. Probably one of the most costly floats out there but for it's versatility the best buy in my books.

This end of the leader is typically tied to a worm hook sizes 2 to 14 and one or two small split shot would be crimped to add some weight. Adding the split shot allows the angler to get more distance on their cast but more importantly get the offerings down to the target depth quicker.

Other options would be:

- A small jighead, maybe 1/32 or 1/16 oz. and small grub or tube for Crappie/Bluegill.

- Using corn nuggets instead of the worm can work very well, especially with course fish like the

Northern Pike Minnow (Squaw Fish) and Carp.

- Leeches, Minnows or Crayfish (Where it is legal)

FloatFishing.jpg

FLOAT FISHING for Salmon/Steelhead

This is a typical float fishing set up. Obviously, this will vary among experienced anglers but the basics are covered here.

The foam floats allow easy adjustment when fishing a variety of water but the cork floats have a better buoyancy and if you snag the bottom and break of you do not run the risk of losing your float.

All that needs to be added is your offering on the hook. This could be cured roe, wool, single egg, gooey bob, corkie, spin-n-glo, marabou jigs or a Colorado blade. Many of these can be used in combination as well.

Float fishing takes practice and practice makes perfect.

FloatFish.jpg

I prefer the egg shaped lead weights with a hole through the middle. The line does not get wrapped around the sinker an it slips through the sinker easier. After I have cast my line, I leave the bail open on my reel and tuck the line coming from the spool under an elastic band that is wrapped around the handle of my rod. This way, there is enough resistance for me to see the rod tip move when a fish bites yet the line is easily freed from the elastic band when the fish moves away with the bait. When there is no current, just inflating my worm with a very fine hypodermic needle (the ones diabetics use) is enough to keep the bait off bottom. When there is current, I add a small homemade ball of cork with a hole through it. The line is held in place in the cork with a toothpick.

My next trick will be to use a real cheap floating lure to keep the bait off bottom. One of those cheap floating lures that you can find at a dollar store. This may act as an attractant to the bait. I will just slip the line through the eye of the lure and jam the line in place with a toothpick.

Edited by Dabluz