Late season boating

mistaredone

This is the latest i've kept my boat out and was wondering if I should be doing anything to protect my engine while stored with the temps dipping around the freezing mark? My boat is in a garage soim hopping its not getting bellow zero. Also what to do if im pulling the boat out after a days fishing and the temps are sub zero?

Thanks

Steve

Guest gbfisher

Just make sure you tilt the engine down and drain it after you pull it out. No biggy keeping it in after it starts to get cold.

As long as your seal is good in your lower unit you won't have any issues. If by chance your seal is compromised and there is water in your crank case there can by problems with it freezing and your crank case cracking.

Have a look in your crank case at the drain and make sure the oil is clear and not milky looking. Only takes a second to look.

Enjoy.

ya just keep the motor in the down position to drain water. Put a thermometer by the motor and see how cold your garage is getting. You could always run a small heater in the area to keep in warm. But I don't think you have to.

I run my boat/ outboard 30 Evinrude 'til the water around the launch starts to Ice up.. I usually put it away in the first week of December... in the meantime my foot is in the down position to keep her drained and voila... I'm good to go 'til the next time..

Temps up here have been dropping to -5 this past week and no problems to be had .. Just great fishing... I'm heading out on Saturday -1* for some Muskies ... I have a few days off next week

and will be doing the same until freeze up.

Don't miss out on the late fall opportunity.

Randy

:canadian:

Like the other guys said........tilt it in the down position.

After it seems like all the water has drained, just turn it over once.

This will release any water that might be trapped on the impeller.

We are off to Quinte on Nov18 and will go thru this process.

Safe Fishing First,

Jack

It would have happened in my Glaston Randy... as the way that livewell was set up a good 3/4" of water stayed in the tank that couldn't drain. I won't take the chance with my Lund with 16 feet of hose to the front livewell and especially the power washer. There is no way it can drain on it's own!

I posted how I winterized a few years back (and capped to allow boat use to continue to freeze up) and some said it was nonsense so others thought so too..... and then fishnsled found out he should have heeded my advise, as his boat almost sank first trip out in the spring thanks to a cracked off livewell pump fitting.

.. and yes, it's a simple as a 1" hose and a funnel attached to your inlets. Turn on the pump and cycle the RV antifreeze through.

Edited by irishfield