Irish?

blaque

Your vids are always intrigueing irish. Youll have to explain someday how it is you do what you do. As im sure theres alot more to what we watch in your vids and stories than just jumping in a plane and hopping to a backlake.

What i mean to say is.........is it as simple as saying lets go fishing and take off? (i can probably answer that by saying obviously not)

So what is involved? Do you do diligent weather research till the second you take off to make sure your not going to be stuck on a lake if high winds pick up. Do you have to call for clearances to fly in an area, or to land on any lake. Is your vehicle on radar so someone always knows your whereabouts.

Its all very interesting.... to me anyway.... to say the least, and im sure others would like to know what it all entails when watching these cool videos you post up.

It cant be as simple as saying "ok, after lunch lets gas up the plane and head out"? lol

Yours Truly,

Mr. Terrified of flying LOL (only been on a plane twice in my life and it was because i absolutely HAD to)

Blaque... the only clearance I need is... "Honey.. is it all right if I get out of your hair tomorrow" ! :D And she ALWAYS says yes! lol

I'll fly no matter the wind if I'm just going somewhere, but if I'm dropping the canoe somewhere, after anchoring the airplane, I'm of course looking for a day with winds under 15K. I had my airplane move on me once this summer.. not a good thing to come back to, but luckily arrived just as it was going up on a large rock.

In the Video.. "Approaching Temagami from the South", watch the airplane as I turn the last time to land. A lot of sliding going on as the wind was 40 gusting 60. Wasn't fun at all.. forecast was 10K winds. I actually left the airplane running and climbed out while I tied it to the dock.

As for weather.. I'm handicapped at the camp.. look outside and see what it's doing and decide to go or not. Fuel is in the boathouse, or if I'm out I only have to go 3000 feet to the local outfitters dock for fuel. Most lakes I go to it's a matter of throwing in one 5 gallon can of fuel and it covers the trip both ways.

As Lloyd can tell you.. yes it's as simple as lets gas up the plane after breakfast and go... We head out in the boat and fish 'till the fog lifts and then come back for the airplane and go..

Edited by irishfield

Hmmm, so its as easy as getting your permission slip signed and hittin the air huh? lol

I think i remember the post about your drifting plane, yikes.

So is your plane the only one on your home lake? How many water planes are registered and flying around your area?

Thanks for the edgumication by the way!

Wayne, we have a little lake on Highway 11 two hours North of Temagami called Kenogami Lake. I think there are about 7 float planes on that lake. I think your guestimate of a dozen planes on Temagami is very conservative. Of couse you do get a "bird's eye view" and I have only seen from the tours on the house boat.

Well, im in New York and skip around to alot of lakes and its just not something you see much of down here.

I believe ive only ever seen one resident float plane on one of the finger lakes (keuka lake), so 12 seems like alot lol

Do you at least have to radio the other local planes in the area that your going up and your whereabouts to avoid close calls, or is it just a keep your eyes open kind of approach?

No requirement to have or use a radio blaque... but I do and blindly make calls from here and there on the local channel in case anyone else is in the area. Other than that.. you are aways scanning the sky for traffic. Almost got a helicopter that wasn't paying attention over Red Cedar on the way up to the lake in July. That "bug splat" in the windshield kept getting bigger and bigger, so I banked hard right and then left again. He flew right by me, at the exact same altitude, as I stared in his window.... with no acknowledgement of my gester on his part... so he didn't see me! He was probably texting... good thing I stopped doing that 10 miles prior! :whistling::D

As for float planes in the USA.. even though your side of the "imaginary line" preach about all your freedoms and rights, floatplanes don't seem to be one of them. I think there is only one lake left in Maine that you can land one on... Thankfully aviation control in Canada is governed by the Feds, and not every town/county/state like it is in the USA.

Edited by irishfield

As for float planes in the USA.. even though your side of the "imaginary line" preach about all your freedoms and rights, floatplanes don't seem to be one of them. I think there is only one lake left in Maine that you can land one on... Thankfully aviation control in Canada is governed by the Feds, and not every town/county/state like it is in the USA.

That explains why I never see any down our way, I learned something today.

I enjoy flying in smaller planes, specially ones with floats on them. I've probably been on more flights with floats than wheels

I find it pretty amazing a fella can wake up on a whim and fly to a lake of his choice :thumbsup_anim:

Dang, that helicopter encounter is nuts.

As far as the rest, i guess that explains why im so naive about the whole float plane thing. Im just a product of my surroundings and like whopper said...... Im just amazed that its that seamless to hop in and go.

Dont be flyin any WMD's across that imaginary line now.......uh hmmm......unless your landing in Maine!

Edited by Blaque