Which gear should I use for salmon , trout, walleye, panfish ,etc.?

fisher12

How much pounds test do you use for salmon?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. less than 8 LBS.

• 8 - 10 LBS.
    • 12 - 14 LBS.
    • 15 - 18 LBS.
    • more than 18 LBS.
  2. 2. which type of line do you use for salmon?

• Monofilament with Fluorocarbon leader
    • Mono without leader
    • Braid with Fluorocarbon leader
    • braid without any leader
    • Other

Which gear should I use for salmon , trout, walleye, panfish ,etc.?

(Rods and reels capacity, size, Hooks ,sinkers and rigs etc.)

Welcome aboard!

Pick a fish, and start fishing and researching, thats what I'd tell you to do :)

If you are just getting started? I would suggest a spinning rod and reel, medium action 6-7 foot depending on what you are comfortable with and a decent reel in a 2000-3000 series size. It is an all around setup that can be used for many species with 8-10 mono line or 20-30 test braid.

Also a bait casting reel and a 6 1/2 - 7 foot medium - medium heavy rod and 14-20 pound test mono or 50 pound braid. Just starting points and you can work around your budget as to prices for them.

Salmon, Muskies, big fish of any species will require a lot more specialized tackle although even then there may be some use for more than one species.

If you are just getting started? I would suggest a spinning rod and reel, medium action 6-7 foot depending on what you are comfortable with and a decent reel in a 2000-3000 series size. It is an all around setup that can be used for many species with 8-10 mono line or 20-30 test braid.

Also a bait casting reel and a 6 1/2 - 7 foot medium - medium heavy rod and 14-20 pound test mono or 50 pound braid. Just starting points and you can work around your budget as to prices for them.

Salmon, Muskies, big fish of any species will require a lot more specialized tackle although even then there may be some use for more than one species.

Okay thanks.

Shore. Live baits.

I would suggest a rod that doesn't have a "fast" action tip since the whiplash effect on the tip of the rod can throw your live bait off from its hook, especially when you're casting.

Edited by swiss

4-6 lb test for longer casts and less visible line is my 2 cents.

micro tubes under a float is what the guys are doing for shore fish usually (crappie). real tiny hooks for the splitshot rig... just as long as they are sharp... bass from shore is.. not for me but people have their secert rivers and such