Why is it that my home address/home phone number/my name

carp-starter

Before I bought my home PC in 2002, My Bell home phone number was unlisted and unpublished (yes there is a difference between the 2). No one could get my phone number from Bell – which was good.

Needless to say, I saw no reason of paying for a service when the public was able to get my name and/or my phone number and/or my home address on the Net. I cancelled the Bell service.

You can get the info via such sites as canada411.ca, 411.ca or whitepages.ca.

I know people whose info is not available on the Net. From what I can see, they have a bell home phone number, they own a house, they have a mortgage, they pay property taxes and they do other things that I do. But my info is on the Net and their info is not. There must be a difference between me and them.

What is that something “something” that will place your info on the Net and available for the public to get. Or, why is these people’s info not available on the Net. It would be nice to get my info off the Net.

Thank you in advance.

carp-starter

My suggestion is to call someone who cares... You will quickly find out no one does.

Move and get a cellphone if you are really worried about it, but they can still track you down if they really want to steal your identity...which is what I assume you are worried about?

Sorry this is no help to you but...

One of the guys at work got a phone call... "Hi, I drove by your house and did a reverse look-up to get your number. We were wondering if you were interested in selling your house..."

Long story short, these people liked the house (that wasn't listed for sale) looked at it and made an offer. My co-worker didn't mention numbers but he said it was an offer they couldn't refuse.

The downside is; theives can do the same, call the house and when there is no answer they arrange their own 'showing'.

Sorry this is no help to you but...

One of the guys at work got a phone call... "Hi, I drove by your house and did a reverse look-up to get your number. We were wondering if you were interested in selling your house..."

Long story short, these people liked the house (that wasn't listed for sale) looked at it and made an offer. My co-worker didn't mention numbers but he said it was an offer they couldn't refuse.

The downside is; theives can do the same, call the house and when there is no answer they arrange their own 'showing'.

Not all thieves are dumb thugs... those are the ones who get caught.

Crazy world we live in, the real criminals get into politics!

Being able to trace a # online has come in pretty handy for me. One of my sons ex-friends gave our # to bunch of punk kids on Xbox Live and convinced them to crank call my home. I just *69, punched the # in google, and I managed to find who the # belongs to, the city and street they live.....

Was pretty funny, I called one of the punks back and gave the kid an earful, never called back again, especially since I mentioned his last name, city and street he lived on....haha, was pretty funny.

As long as you don't come across any crazy stalkers in your time, not that there's such thing as a normal stalker, but you should be fine.

Being able to trace a # online has come in pretty handy for me. One of my sons ex-friends gave our # to bunch of punk kids on Xbox Live and convinced them to crank call my home. I just *69, punched the # in google, and I managed to find who the # belongs to, the city and street they live.....

Was pretty funny, I called one of the punks back and gave the kid an earful, never called back again, especially since I mentioned his last name, city and street he lived on....haha, was pretty funny.

As long as you don't come across any crazy stalkers in your time, not that there's such thing as a normal stalker, but you should be fine.

Sounds like you back traced them! :worthy:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=98Np9hNSIWo

in the past there was always ways to find personal info, it was more difficult and costly. in a previous job i used a canada 411 type thing that was purchased from bell on DVD to perform address searches, reverse lookups etc. the 'vernons' directory was another source of info the one would access in the library to look up employer and employee personal info. you could track a person from name,, address, employer, phone #, whatever you had just fill in the blanks with the others. licence plate searches are available for a fee. blah blah the point being all that work and searching can now be done by anyone, quick and cheap, on the internet.

i dont know how or why some people show up and some dont. also have no idea how to 'remove' yourself, probably eaier to go back in time!