Geese are headin south

mercman

I don't know about the rest of you,but fall and the flocking geese always bring me to think of things past.

It's a time of year that Dad and i used to share with a great passion. A time of year that signaled the yearly migration of Canada Geese and ducks. He and mom lived just west of ottawa, in Kanata, and i would visit him during this time of year and we would always sneak away to go and see huge flocks of geese resting and eating in the vast cut cornfields of the experimental farm.literally thousands of them creating a ruckus that you could hear for miles. we would get out of the car and walk along the fences seperating the fields from the road, and just stand there in silence listening and watching them come and go.

Some of the bigger ones at the edge of the flock would lift their heads atop long necks and stare at us as intently as we stared at them.Those are the lookouts he would say.They tend the flock and protect them from danager as they eat. He would go off in great descriptive monologues of how he and gramps would hike into the many marshes west of Ottawa and hunt.I got a chance to hunt with him only once, and i had a hard time keeping up with him, and he would say i sounded like a bull moose crashing through the brushblush.gif and laff his butt off at me.

I still remember all of the stories, word for word, and every year since he passed, when i hear the geese calling overhead, i think of him and thank god for the time we had, be it ever so short.

here's to you Doug White. You have made me who i am today. Be Proud of what you have left behind.

I am glad to hear that the memories you have are so deep and memorial and I am glad you shared them with us. The changing of the seasons are always special and to most bring the joy of the harvest from a summers hard work before the winters festivities begin.

Art

No kidding Paul.... them geese are active on a daily basis up here smile.gif

Will try to get some footage for ya soon cool.gif

Leechman

Hey, That would be awsome Jacques. Was on the water here today. and there were 100's of them coming in all around me.They werent even afraid.think they know the diff between a fishing rod and a gundunno.gif

Hey, That would be awsome Jacques. Was on the water here today. and there were 100's of them coming in all around me.They werent even afraid.think they know the diff between a fishing rod and a gundunno.gif

I think your right Paul :thumbsup_anim: They've been flying over my house all summer...... first going to the Ottawa river in the morning and then over to the farmer's field in the evening.... sometimes vice versa :) I don't think I would risk a 12 gauge shot from my deck :lol:

Leechman