Fishing Near Hamilton?

I was wondering if anybody knew of some places close to Hamilton, whether it be fished by shore or boat, other than the great lakes and grand river. I would like to find some places close to home where I can go quickly for a little fishing as I do have a busy schedule.

how big of a boat do u have?

within half an hour of hamilton you have:

Binbrook Conservation (tons of crappie, few bass and pike, but catch and release on everything but the crappie)

Waterford (tons of ponds to play in, has some very large bass)

Valens (pond with panfish, small pike, and decent bass)

Montsburg (pond with hammerhandle pike, and some monster bass)

Shades Mills (bigger pond with some nice smallies and small pike)

Jordan Harbour (have to go in via the lake, but once in, tons of fun!)

But your best bet to get into great fishing is to venture out onto the grand river, dont expect much your first six or seven trips.....but once you learn it (keep going to the same area, and learn it well), you'll find its some of the best fishing in Southern Ontario. What makes it good is you have to learn it, which keeps out the 'fly by nighters'.

Have Fun!

well it's my dads boat....12 or 14... We don't spend as much time together anymore and he really doesn't use his boat as much as he should so I was just wondering where there were some places to go. I have fished from shore a bit in grand river by Cayuga but never had any luck.

that is the perfect sized boat for the area's i mentioned.

do u have access to an electric trolling motor for the back?

thats too bad about your father not joining you as much.....my pops is my first and favorite fishing partner.

maybe after he sees you bringing in the biggen's, he'll change his mind.....

oh, and definitely stop into bills bait on upper james just before you go down the access....they have some serious local fishing experience, and will definitely get you onto some fish....

Edited by Steve

I've seen the store but never gone in it, I've always wanted to though. The only one I've been to in Hamilton is Fishing World which I do like and it seems they know a lot too. I've just never asked them if they knew any places. Yeah my dad is great to fish with but we both have such busy schedules. It's expected when you grow up. His honda motor is a 15hp? Can't recall exactly what it is but we've been okay fishing Bellwood Lake in Fergus and a few lakes in Parry Sound.

i should note, now that i read you have a gas outboard, most of the area's i listed above dont permit gas motors....

paddling or electric only....

however, you should have a gander at hamilton bay.....there has been some fish caught there in the last few years.

I know the area well, If you would like to fish from shore on the grand, cross at the York bridge and park (on 54 between Caledonia and Cayuga). About a 2 minute walk to the mouth of the Mackenie Creek. The action should keep you busy for a while. If you need other areas PM me.

Everything that Steve just listed is excellent, Binbrook is pretty good if you have an electric to put on the boat, but the Bay has some good fishing as well. Bass, pike , Spring salmon near the bridge, and huge carp and sheephead. If you ever have a full day head to Cooks Bay, an hour and a half drive and incredible Pike and perch and bass fishing, totally worth the drive.