Question for merc techs(stern drive)

vinnimon

Im at the point where I may have to winterize my boatwallbash.gifwallbash.gif.The problem im faced with is this!

The Cam gear is shot,in which I cant run the coolant threw the whole system like I normally do, to remove all the water.

With the lever in forward or reverse its too hard to turn the prop,obviously!

Now for my question

With the lever in neutral,will turning the prop spin the pick up waterpump at all in the stern?

Or is there a proper proceedure to do this, without turning the engine over!

FYI I have a 140 mercruiser (3 liter gm)In board,merc stern drive

Thanks in advance

V

You can undue the coolant hose at the highest point and fill it from their.If the coolant flows from the water intake it would indicate it has reached the rest of the motor. I have not done this on a merc cruiser but it works on an inboard 318 and my outboard motors. I hope someone else can answer and backup my guess or even better give you the Merc answer.

Art

I used to have a 120 Mercruiser on an old Starcraft boat I had. Removed the clamp from the coolant hose at the highest point and poured RV antifreeze into the system until I saw it dripping from the out drive.

After the winter, I yanked off the lower hose and collected as much of the coolant as I could in small buckets and put it back in the containers to be used another time.

Also forced air through the system to push the coolant through the out drive into a container.(use your imagination with that one):whistling:

The small amount that was left was flushed out with water.

Don't wait to get to the lake to flush out the system. Antifreeze and living organisms don't mix very well.