Fishing in Punta Cana

Chugger

Howdy Folks,

The wife and I are heading to Punta Cana mid November and I'm tasked with the job of finding us a day charter for some deep sea fishing. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with any of the operators out of there? Any tips or recomendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-Graeme

No sweat, have fun! what resort are you staying at?

Here is a good little forum for travel questions for the DR http://debsdrtravels.proboards.com/index.cgi?

We have always done the shared charter... 100.00 Per person.. and both times we were alone without others, they will pick you up at you're hotel and drive you back. They keep the fish.... watch out for the flying fish! took one on the forehead last year!

Mike is a german living in the DR.. and is the most popular charter operator on the south coast.. his english is not perfect but understandable.. infact he is/was a member here..

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showuser=4763 <----his profile...

Take lots of pics!

Edited by Gerritt

I think you have to pay to get a good outing. I made deal with a local group and it was a scam as far as I was concerned. We had a four hour boat tour with no hope of catching a fish out of that old boat. I think we were lucky to make it back to shore, everything was falling off the boat and we got choked out from the fumes, not good when a few of the guys were hung over. LOL So, I guess my point is, if you make a deal for less $$$$, you get what you pay for.

Highly recommend packing some of your own travel gear for the often times great shore fishing. Charters are hit and miss. Make sure everyone has sea legs or bring lots of gravol. I haven't fished Punta Cana...but every time I head to the Caribbean I always bring my own gear and have a riot. Just got back from St. Martin and landed over 12 Tarpon within a 5 minute taxi ride from my hotel. I brought Jerkbaits, swim baits and various plastics and they all worked great. Just make sure you have the heaviest freshwater gear you can bring. Ocean fish can be violent.

I agree on bringing a good travel rod and a 4000 size spinning reel loaded with 12 pound test mono.

St. Croix makes a very good 7 foot medium power fast action Premier Travel rod (3 pieces) that is really good. its rated for up to 5/8 oz lures and comes with a pvc rod tube for travel but it will fit in most suitcases. I got mine at basspro in Vaughn for around $200.

well worth the investment if you like to shore fish while on vacation. compared to the cost of the trip, $200 is nothing :)

enjoy your trip!