October - around 1994

TennesseeGuy

I received this today from my friend, Dwayne, who lives in Iowa. Beatrice and I were fishing Little Vermilion Lake after the end of the first week of moose season around 1995. I'm not sure of the year, but we were there late in the season. Three camp owners, Dwayne, my dog Beatrice and I were the only ones in camp. I didn't know about the photo until today. Bea made several trips to Sportsman's, chased off a lot of bears, busted the water every time she saw a duck or goose, and kept us company on the water. She was a little over 14 years old when she was put down four years ago. She wasn't a champion, but she was a good fishing companion.

A few days after the picture we were hit with a storm that resulted with 15" of snow that kept us pinned down for three days. Walleyes turned off and we resorted to slicing our own moose steak from a hind quarter hanging in the fish house.

Pleasant memories for sure. Bea's nose prints remained on the driver side window of my truck until just a few months ago.

Beatrice-Easter.jpg

Your love and appreciation for the north is evident in each post that you make Connie. Sitting and chatting with you in Red Lake last spring confirmed that. I could have chatted for hours with you. That's a great story and photo of Beatrice. I can relate. All the best my friend. Maybe we'll have the opportunity to spend more time together next spring.

Good story TG

I'm surprised 15" kept you "pinned" anywhere.

Dan I have spent three openers until this last season with Connie and have sat and listened to many stories of his trips to the promise land and never tire hearing them. TG is definitely tuned in to what goes on. Sorry to have missed this last opener while you were up there, don't think for one minute I've forgotten the helping hand you lent me a few years back and hopefully one day I can repay you somehow.

Connie I hope all goes well for you next week

Walleye opener is May 21 in 2011. Phil and I might go in the week before and stay two weeks. Hopefully we'll get together with Dan and check out a perogy at Lakeview Restaurant.

Yeah, I rousted Dan out of bed last May 13 when I hit Red Lake. He brought me current on his high school basketball success and seemed a little put out that I didn't recruit him back then. Way back then. Probably should have. Might still be coaching hoops if I had.

Catching fish is only one of the many rewards of being in the bush.