My Genesis of Boat Fishing

young_one

Haha, don’t change the page! The reading is not that intimidating, :D I need help.

Hello to all OFC board members,

I joined OFC forum two years ago and continuously using the same login name, young_one, lately I’ve been pretty quite on the board due to school and such. It’s my last year of high school and university application can get pretty tight. As for my parents, they had some pretty big purchases in the month of March, and they are spending even more money for what they bought.

Tracker Tundra 18 SC with a 150HP Mercury Nitro and a 9.9 Mercury Trolling motor. (Already bought) I got the Operator Card.

Any opinion on this boat? Things I should watch out for? Or mandatory accessories I should add to the boat? It is my family’s first boat, and we don’t want to learn stuff by trial and error. :P

GMC Envoy or Ford Explorer or Dodge Durango

Personally, I like the GMC Envoy. My father is buying it 2nd hand, and WE GOTTA HAVE THE CAR BEFORE FISHING SEASON STARTS.

Any suggestions?

3rd, we are planning to upgrade the fish finder on the Tundra SC to the Hummingbird 797 c2 SI or possibly the 997c SI. The good news is that, I’m going to Detroit, Michigan for a basketball tryout, and I’ve heard good pricings in the States. All I know is BPS and Cabela’s (Dundee, a bit far :S), any suggestions for tackle stores that would offer good price on GPS/Fishfinder?

Again, link back to the boat stuff, if there are any small accessories for the boat, I would also try to get it from the States.

There’s so much to learn and time is slowly running out, I’m gonna expand my fishing opportunities and MAN I’M EXCITED!

- Spring Salmon

- Spring Simcoe Perch

- May June BOQ

- July August muskie and bass

- September Great Lake Chinook/Steelhead

- October, late season walleye

I can’t wait to start my 2007 fishing season, best of luck to all fishermen and stay safe.

Tracker_Tundra_18sc_2.jpg

Tracker_Tundra_18sc.jpg

Edited by young_one

As someone who was in your very situation last March (university application), I congratulate you on your boat purchase :)

I guarantee you you're gonna love it.

I can't help you much with the boat/truck suggestions, but make sure you develop some crazy time management skills so that when you get to university next year you can balance fishing with academics . It's not gonna be easy but you can do it .

tight lines!

If not included get a nice 24 volt trolling motor.

Buy good batteries.

Try getting a RAM mount for your depthfinder, you will find it really handy.

A spare tire on your trailer.

I have a sirius satelite radio in mine and its awesome.

Either the 797 or the 997 would be a great unit! I like the size of the screen on the 997 and can take the new Navionics Platinum Cards! Are you in sourhwestern Ontario? If so check out Joslyn at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock 519-539-5494 for some great pricing!

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by David Chong

Transport Ca. has a program out where you can get a free inspection of your boat for all your safety gear through your local Canada Power and Sail squadron, do a little Googling and find the contact person in your area to set it up. If your boat passes you get a sticker to display on your boat. The idea is better us on shore at no cost than cops on the water.

Forget the sat. radio and stick to AM, you can hear approaching lightning on an AM radio.

Hey great boat! The only thing I've heard about the Tundra's is to keep an eye on the transom. They had a problem with the transoms cracking on the bigger models, but mostly from guys who are tournament guys runnin full speed across 3 and 4 footers trying to get back in time for weigh in! :rolleyes:

If you watch what your doing and use common sense, you have no problems at all!

If you can find a way to do it, I'd reccommend looking at a Lowrance as an alternative to the humminbird.

HH

Congrats on the new boat and all!

Man i'm jealous, i went through the uni app process almost 2 years ago and am hoping to get a boat soon as well. The only problem i have is that there's no where to park it. I guess i'll have to stick with my canoe for now.

I don't know much about boating stuff since i don't own one, one thing i thought of tho, is to get good quality lifejackets. It is a safety concern and i'd suggest you not to get the cheap ones. They are usually bulky and they get uncomfortable if you stay on the water for quite a while (plus you have to cast and such).

I remember seeing your smallie report at BOQ last summer/fall, best of luck on the uni apps. It's almost over and you can fish as much as you want after you get the acceptances :)

Victor