Fort Lauderdale

Fly Me In Scotty

I am going on a work trip to Fort Lauderdale. I am extending this of course to last over the week-end and fly home on Sunday. The wife is coming and bringing a friend that might allow me to sneak out for some fishing while i drop them off at the mall.

Does anyone have any spots or area's in and around the Fort Lauderdale area that they would share with me?

Tips on what rod and tackle to bring (limited of course) to allow me to be productive over there?

I know there are fresh and salt water - what would you target? :blahblah1:

send me a PM and I will get to it tonight.

you have nights free?? sailfish, kingfish out in the ocean right now, way out makos and Swords...

bass and peacocks form shore and some snook at night around the bridges.

Where in lauderdale are you staying? find out and elt me know. There are some good piers as well.. Anglins is great and open 24 hours. They sell shrimp as well. You can catch snapper, cudas, macks , jacks and sharks there...

PM me for more info. I am going in a few weeks myself

If you are into flyfishing I would take a minimum of an 8wt with a floating or intermediate line and bring some sinking tips. Bring long leaders preferably made out of flourocarbon. As far as flies go minnow imitations like clousers and leftys deceivers are good as well as some shrimp and crab imitations. If not into flyfishing then bring heavier spinning gear or baitcasting gear. Raw shrimp work well off the beach or pier.If you have any questions then shoot me a email or pm.

Cheers Jeff

There are a couple of rest areas out on alligator alley that you can fish from shore...sunshine peacocks, largemouths...I even caught a "mudfish" and a couple of other species that nobody could identify (tourists)...lots of little garpikes...Get snagged and watch how soon the 'gators show up...LOL

Thanks for all the reply's. I have yet to venture into the fly fishing world so I will stick with either a baitcaster or spinning outfit. Most likely my baitcast.

Have any of you travelled with fishing equipment before? Anything I need to worry about other than getting a pvc tube to make my rod survives the trip?

What tackle would you bring?

If you are flying Westjet the tube for your rods is a no cost piece. Just make sure it is well labled. Put your reels and hooks in your luggage or buy your hooks/jigs down there.My self I used jigs and plain hooks with slip sinkers. I found with snook and sea trout I did not need leaders but if you have mid weight florocarbon I would use it. Make sure to rinse your stuff off. Oh and I just took my medium action stuff but put heavier line. Check about buying your license, I belive it is one for saltwater and one for freshwater, unless things have changed. Oh also rappilin redfins.

Good luck

Edited by davew3

if you fish from any of the piers you will not need a license. Make sure if you bnring more then one rod that you tie the rods together, I wrap a sock round the tops of them as well.

With my reels I put them in my lugage and also wrap socks around them.

many of the canals around lauderdale hold fish, everything form bass to snook and tarpon. check the spill ways after it rains