Venison Pot Roast on the BBQ

Billy Bob

Yesterday I took a small venison roast and put one clove of garlic in it (cut into 4 pieces and then made deep incisions in the roast to push the garlic into). Seasoned with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Then I rapped the roast with 3 pieces of bacon to keep it moist holding the bacon in place with toothpicks. Took a cheap throw away foil tin and coated it with a small amount of oil. Placed the roast in it with a digital meat thermometer probe that has a read out outside the charcoal grill. I also par cooked some small yellow potatoes in the microwave and then quartered them. I coated them in a bowl with olive oil and also did the same with some baby carrots.......Got my big heap of charcoal going (I use a electric starter, it's the best way to start charcoal) and then spread out the charcoal into two piles on the far left and right of my grill, leaving none directly under the roast. This way you are using INDIRECT heat. But anyways I cooked the roast with the potatoes and carrots until the temperature in the middle of the roast showed 136 degrees. Took it out and let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes while covered with foil (it will raise to 140 degrees or more). Took off the bacon and discarded it (not throughly cooked). Cut the roast at a angle and it looked JUST like the best Prime Rib piece of meat you ever did see. AND it taste FANTASTIC........My sister in-law ate it without her knowing it was venison (she would never try it) She NEVER knew she asked for more venison.....LOL...it was that GOOD ! ! !

Try this method........it works VERY WELL........I have also done some rather large (6-7 lb) standing rib roast on the grill not using the cheap foil tin but just placing it directly on the grill rack, but again monitoring the internal temp of the roast with the digital probe.

VenisonPotGrillRoast9-4-10002.jpg

Sorry, no pics of it cooked....we ate it too fast... :P

AHHHHHHHHH Billy, par boil before throwing them to the BBQ. Excellent looking meal...my kind of vittles.

EDIT: Is that rosemary I see on the carrot? :)

DAM your good......yes rosemary on the potatoes only on the far right side because the 3 women don't like it.

And YES, it's a hooded BBQ.....here's it is...fire made in the top portion (bottom for smoking only)

GrillsontheDeck003.jpg