Early Season Salmon

daryl0815

I decided to go down to a small east ontario trib of Lake O that I know of, to try my luck for some Trout and Salmon this morning. I tied up about a dozen roe bags and headed for the creek. I decided to leave the waders in the car, because it was almost 30 degrees at 9am and just getting hotter, usually I dont like to go salmon fishing without waders, because so often you need to chase a running fish up or downstream, but I figured that, a few lost fish would be worth being fairly comfortable all day.

My first cast had not even hit the bottom when I felt a strong hit, set the hook, and I am into my first Salmon of the day, not a bad way to start! After about 15 minutes I corralled the small male to the shore, took a quick picture and released him after about 5 minutes reviving him.

SS Salmon 3.JPG

15 minutes later I am into another fish, another male, this one a little bigger, he gave me a really good fight, and almost ended up in a brush pile downstream, but I managed to pull him back and get him up on the bank aswell.

SS Salmon 2.JPG

About an hour went by before I had another fish on, it ended up being a nice sized male, then shortly after that I got a 6" rainbow on a roe bag almost as big as him!

SS Salmon 4.JPG

Another couple of hours, after running out of roe and switching to marshmallows and a couple of fish on broken off before I hooked into this decent sized female

SS Salmon.JPG

Shortly after that I switched to a wooly bugger under a float to get this nice male, lots of jumps, lots of runs, about a 20 minute fight.

SS Salmon 1.JPG

All in all it was a good day down at the stream, I managed 6 fish landed, and 3 broken off, a couple foul hooked which I broke off on purpose, it seemed like a roe bag with floaters in it was the hot bait today, once I ran out the action really slowed down noticeably, but I still managed a few fish on other baits. I was happy with the fact that I landed a good portion of fish that I had on even without waders. All fish were released and swam off strong after some reviving, most of them actually sat about 3 feet in front of me for a few minutes before taking off.

Hopefully this is just the start of a productive fall!

Edited by daryl0815

Oh yeah, if anyone could be so kind as to let me know how I can post bigger pictures it would be much appreciated, I spent almost an hour resizing these stupid pics so that all 5 would upload, but I see some posts that are full of nice big pictures, I wonder what I am missing.....

Oh yeah, if anyone could be so kind as to let me know how I can post bigger pictures it would be much appreciated, I spent almost an hour resizing these stupid pics so that all 5 would upload, but I see some posts that are full of nice big pictures, I wonder what I am missing.....

nice fishing....

i use www.photobucket.com for all pics

Bluesunset.jpg

Edited by splashhopper

nice fishing....

i use www.photobucket.com for all pics

Thanks man, I thought that might be the answer, because there is the option of entering a URL for the pictures which may be the answer to all of my problems!

Yeah it was a pretty good day, not the best that I have had, but definitely not the worst!