Lower Buckhorn

hoops12

Hello,

I'm heading to Bayview Resort on Lower Buckhorn this weekend and would like to hear some feedback on the resort and lake. I have never fished Lower Buckhorn, and looking for some tips/maps/baits or any info i can get my hands on. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys

Hello,

I'm heading to Bayview Resort on Lower Buckhorn this weekend and would like to hear some feedback on the resort and lake. I have never fished Lower Buckhorn, and looking for some tips/maps/baits or any info i can get my hands on. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys

welcome to Lower Buckhorn. You will be located at the corner of Deer bay with lots of access to good fishing depending where and what you want to go for all I can say is be careful this lake has lots of shallow rocky areas that are just outside the main channel especially on the northern part of the lake. Deer Bay is pretty much wide open with some good weed beds but I have never fished it much my time has been spent in a lot of the back bays but you have to be really careful going into those places they are full of unmarked rocky areas that will eat your motor if you are not careful I love it back in Black Duck Bay but again I stress be careful don't know what kind of boat you use I just have a 14 ft aluminum and am always cautious in there and I have been on the lake 20+ years good luck don't know what you fish for but there are lots of bass and musky for sure if you know how to go after them Good Luck!!

Kawartha Kev

Hello,

Thanks guys

I rented a cottage on Lower Buckhorn for the weeks of Canada Day the past 2 years. We would fish the western shore of Deer Bay (Large Souther Bay in the South of the Lake) using x-raps in perch and the Koppers blugills with some decent success.

There is also an island just north of one of the marinas on the main lake (I am sorry I do not recall names) with relatively steep drop offs to 20ish feet on the eastern side of the island. We caught largememouth bass at the dropoff and I ccaught my first ever muskie there.

There is a also a small bay at the extreme southern tip of Deer Bay that we would fish topwaters in the mornings with some success. Pencil walk the dog lures worked well there.

I hope that helped some. Good luck!

I've stayed at Three Castles by the dam for the last three years. First two we were there for Canada Day week, and this year we were there mid-july. I do most of my fishing in the small bays there close to camp, I find it some of the easiest water to find good cover in. I fished a big rock wall at the north east side of deer bay and got into some good smallies action there this summer, but for the most part I find the fishing better where the lake is more narrow and bay-ee?!!?! There's an osprey nest just inside the channel heading up to the lock, I have good luck in both of those bays, the island(s) in front of the marina are good too, most of my fish are right in between the island and the channel there, but the boat traffic makes it tough to fish at times.

Now we expect a report.

Oh, and I've caught a few fish up in the shallow bays north of deer bay (my first muskie), but for the most part its all so shallow I find the fishing a bit tough, esepcially after all this warm weather. My advice would be head up towards Buckhorn and fish where the lake gets narrower.

Good luck!

I rented a boat from Three castle a few yr ago.

Caught a few nice size Muskie and Bass around Three Sister Island. There are a couple of small dams linked to another Lake (Lovesick?). I always had luck there.

Great Lake.

I don't want to jack the thread but in the same theme are there boat rentals available at Buckhorn. For Thanksgiving we will be renting on Sandy Lake and have been told (here) that Buckhorn is the best option for fishing the area. 6 weeks and counting...