My Best Day of River Smallie Fishing This Year

BillsTheBassMan

Well folks, you'll be sure to notice that this report is lacking something that my report always has . . . pictures. I'll address this in time, but my $500+ camera found its way into a watery grave. (Stay tuned to see the brain fart that lead to this.)

So, after not managing to hook up with any OFNers this past Saturday, I decided to take the opportunity to go to one of my favourite honey holes. It did not disappoint. I had the best day of river fishing for smallies that I've had all year.

1. The Highlights!

I didn't think this was possible, but I went 14/14 deal with heavy current and looooooooooooong hooksets.

I managed to catch two nice smallies out from under canoes of some rude anglers that decided to park right in front of me (the first fishermen that I've seen at this spot all season). They were skunked.

It was a beautiful day and every thing was shaping up nicely. I'll argue anyone about this - when it's HOT and humid, that's when I like smallie fishing the best.

I had at least 9 pictures of smallies that were all beautiful in colour and size. The average fish for the day was about 15", I topped out at 18.5" I was very excited about the report I was going to be able to deliver to all of you wonderful people.

I went for a long wade down river and came across a guided trip where the guide was giving a fly and spey cast lesson, so I asked if he minded if I watched and he didn't care, so I had some snacks and learned a few things - a great break.

My lure confidence grew on several "potential" baits that I have, and they picked up some nice fish on this day.

The fish are on the feedbag now and even small fish are bulking up and able to pull some line - it's a wonderful thing to feel and see! I was loving life and the never-ending supply of fiesty bronzebacks. I had hours to fish before the first beers were to be opened with some buddies that night, and life was good.

The Lowlight:

After landing fish #12 (A beauty 16" smallie), I was fumbling around with my rod, my camera, and the fish. The left hand had the rod and the bass, the right hand had my turned on JVC Everio, ready to snap a quick picture and to release the fish. Sadly, I released my fishing rod into the river and it started to slowly drift downstream. I let the bass go immediately and without thinking, reached into the water with my right hand and dunked my everio to retrieve my rod. I noticed it right away, cursed a little, and noticed that the Everio was on no more! It currently is sitting completely encompassed in a bowl of rice for minimum 10 days. I'm hoping I'll get all the moisture out of it and that it may work again. Seeing as the outlook is not-so-good, I went to Future Shop and took advantage of their new sale on the Fuji underwater/waterproof digital cameras (so my reports will be photoless no more).

Anyway, my fishing went downhill after this incident, and I only caught two more. I guess self-pity doesn't help your angling ability. I decided to call it at 1 O'Clock and head home.

I'm laughing about the incident now and I didn't have to pay too much to get a good replacement camera that should allow for some epic underwater shots. I'm sorry folks that this report in particular isn't littered with all the amazing fish I caught this Saturday. The next one surely will.

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Well folks, you'll be sure to notice that this report is lacking something that my report always has . . . pictures. I'll address this in time, but my $500+ camera found its way into a watery grave. (Stay tuned to see the brain fart that lead to this.)

So, after not managing to hook up with any OFNers this past Saturday, I decided to take the opportunity to go to one of my favourite honey holes. It did not disappoint. I had the best day of river fishing for smallies that I've had all year.

1. The Highlights!

I didn't think this was possible, but I went 14/14 deal with heavy current and looooooooooooong hooksets.

I managed to catch two nice smallies out from under canoes of some rude anglers that decided to park right in front of me (the first fishermen that I've seen at this spot all season). They were skunked.

It was a beautiful day and every thing was shaping up nicely. I'll argue anyone about this - when it's HOT and humid, that's when I like smallie fishing the best.

I had at least 9 pictures of smallies that were all beautiful in colour and size. The average fish for the day was about 15", I topped out at 18.5" I was very excited about the report I was going to be able to deliver to all of you wonderful people.

I went for a long wade down river and came across a guided trip where the guide was giving a fly and spey cast lesson, so I asked if he minded if I watched and he didn't care, so I had some snacks and learned a few things - a great break.

My lure confidence grew on several "potential" baits that I have, and they picked up some nice fish on this day.

The fish are on the feedbag now and even small fish are bulking up and able to pull some line - it's a wonderful thing to feel and see! I was loving life and the never-ending supply of fiesty bronzebacks. I had hours to fish before the first beers were to be opened with some buddies that night, and life was good.

The Lowlight:

After landing fish #12 (A beauty 16" smallie), I was fumbling around with my rod, my camera, and the fish. The left hand had the rod and the bass, the right hand had my turned on JVC Everio, ready to snap a quick picture and to release the fish. Sadly, I released my fishing rod into the river and it started to slowly drift downstream. I let the bass go immediately and without thinking, reached into the water with my right hand and dunked my everio to retrieve my rod. I noticed it right away, cursed a little, and noticed that the Everio was on no more! It currently is sitting completely encompassed in a bowl of rice for minimum 10 days. I'm hoping I'll get all the moisture out of it and that it may work again. Seeing as the outlook is not-so-good, I went to Future Shop and took advantage of their new sale on the Fuji underwater/waterproof digital cameras (so my reports will be photoless no more).

Anyway, my fishing went downhill after this incident, and I only caught two more. I guess self-pity doesn't help your angling ability. I decided to call it at 1 O'Clock and head home.

I'm laughing about the incident now and I didn't have to pay too much to get a good replacement camera that should allow for some epic underwater shots. I'm sorry folks that this report in particular isn't littered with all the amazing fish I caught this Saturday. The next one surely will.

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan that sucks about the camera. Glad the fishing was good.

I grabbed one (Fuji XP10) a few weeks ago on sale at F-Shop for $169. The regular price is $199. It has been great so far!

Ryan - did you take out the memory card and battery? I am betting that the memory card will still work after it dries for a bit... you might still have your pics!

Edited by Fisherpete

Sorry to hear about your camera, that really sucks, but you did have a great day of fishing :thumbsup_anim: And got a new camera, so who can complain :)

Try the video card like everyone says, bet the pics will still be there.

Joey

I grabbed one (Fuji XP10) a few weeks ago on sale at F-Shop for $169. The regular price is $199. It has been great so far!

Ryan - did you take out the memory card and battery? I am betting that the memory card will still work after it dries for a bit... you might still have your pics!

The JVC Everio has an internal hard drive - no memory card needed, so no chance of retrieving the pics unless the rice gambit works. The battery was taken off for the rice thing.

Just last week Tybrad almost wrecked his blackberry when we were out, and I said to him "it's just a matter of time before the same thing happens to my camera." I knew what its eventual fate would be.

Guest Manitoubass

Not to laugh, but the asame thing happened to me a few days back when I was trying to do the exact same thing, fish river smallies and get alot of pics.

I as well had a great day. It was a warm day, but in the afternoon turned hot and humid, with almost no wind (a storm was approaching), and I did awesome as well. The qauntity was great, caught about 25 in the 12-15"range, but only 2 fish around the 4 lb mark.

Anyways, I feel your pain.

I bought a new camera 2 days ago, so maybe I'll go try my luck again, lol.

Happy fishing

So there's still a faint bit of hope you'll have some pics on that camera, eh Ryan. My fingers are crossed for ya. Otherwise, you'll just have your memories( and this journal on OFC )to remember your outstanding day by.

Thanks for the report anyway and congraz on a very productive day on the river!

So there's still a faint bit of hope you'll have some pics on that camera, eh Ryan. My fingers are crossed for ya. Otherwise, you'll just have your memories( and this journal on OFC )to remember your outstanding day by.

Thanks for the report anyway and congraz on a very productive day on the river!

Yep, I'm hoping that the rice trick works and that I at least get to salvage the pics. I'm intending on going out tonight and getting a good set of new pics with my underwater/waterproof camera. Fingers crossed on both accounts.