Good Company & Average Fishing - 3 Rivers in 3 Days

BillsTheBassMan

This past week I've been pounding the rivers hard with some tapered success. The dog days of summer seem to have arrived and the fishing has slowed down a bit, but if you slog hard enough you can still dig out some gems.

Thursday Evening with Tybrad.

Tybrad and I met on Wednesday evening for a relatively casual river fish. The night was slow, but the fishing was good and he was a good guy to fish with. We were in touch on Thursday and went for an impromptu fish. My first cast saw me cast to some weeds and miss a BIG bass who was at the surface to meet my falling lure. This, for me at least, was a sign of things to come. I lost a good amount of fish throughout the evening and ended up only catching 2 fish around 12". Tyler had a better night using a different presentation and topped out at this beautiful river bass. Check out how lean & muscular this fish is:

027.jpg?t=1282584966

Friday was a day of rest for me after having fished for 5/7 days.

SATURDAY with Musky of Specks

Saturday saw me meet OFC'er Musky or Specks for the first time. Musky and Myself have been in conversation for a few years now, but hadn't received the chance to get out on the rivers. Today I was at his disposal as he showed me a few of his spots.

The weather was murky, rainy, and cloudy all day and we think it threw the fishing a little bit, but we still managed to get into over a dozen fish combined. We hardly toppled the scales, as this fish was big fish of the day:

035.jpg?t=1282585377

Here's Musky or Specks holding an average bass for the day:

037-1.jpg?t=1282585407

I'll say to the community what I said to MoS. Don't judge the hole by the fish you catch on any given day, judge it by how it looks, and they all looked great. I thank MoS again for sharing some of his vast knowledge and a few of his spots with me. It was a pleasure and I look forward to the next time out!

Sunday with Tybrad

Sunday was an ugly day in these parts - heavy cloud, and at best, light rain, at worst big downpours. Tybrad and I decided to brave it and give some new water a shot. As someone who fishes a lot of pristine trout waters, I had to laugh when this was one of our fishing holes:

054.jpg?t=1282585743

No sign of Ricky, Bubbles, or Julian (much less Randy or Lahey), but there was a sign of some river SMB. Tyler and I each had some success in the rain. Tyler is here with the big guy of the day - measuring 16" on the nose:

052.jpg?t=1282585822

One thing we experienced A LOT throughout this rainy day were bass that were striking at our lures as soon as they hit the water after a long cast. Violent splashes & attacks. Unfortunately, the fish were not that accurate and we missed more of these surprise strikes than we landed. At around 8:00 the rain got to us and we decided to leave the river, drenched, but with some more time on the water under our belts and some more fish stories for the rest of you.

It was good getting out with Tyler again as well, and I suspect there will probably be another river-fish at some point this week.

In closing, here's an Observation from fishing with these two OFC'ers:

I fish braid with fluoro-leaders and I have for a long time. I've always figured that the fluoro-leader can only help. I noticed this weekend that both Tybrad and Musky or Specks fish straight braid. They both have success doing so and this is NOT limited to murky water. This should save me some anxiety over the coming years as I notice those spools of flouro in my vest start to get empty - it's no big deal now - at that time I'll just fish straight braid!

Cheers,

Ryan

Now THAT is some good times on the river, that there is! Nice report and pics Bill and way to go Musky Or Specks and Tybrad. Can't imagine a better way to spend a few days, and some nice river fish to boot.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks Mike,

you should make your way up to these parts sometime and we'll hit the river together.

Cheers,

Ryan