Trolling motor question

Fisherpete

My buddy Al just picked up a trolling motor for his boat, he went for the Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 @ 70lb, with iPilot. Seems like a really nice unit. I was a bit shocked to hear that it can run on either 12 or 24 volt according to the guy at LeBaron who sold it to him. Have any of you heard of this? I looked at the Minn Kota site, and all the 70lb Powerdrive V2 models are listed as 24v. Al has hooked it up, and it does run... Would a 70lb not run a single battery down really quick?

And on to me... I have permission from the wife to go out and buy one for my new boat, any suggestions of what to go for? My boat is a 16', and boat/motor/accesories weigh in at say 850 pounds or so. My initial thought is the Motorguide wireless 45 or 55, as I am pretty comfortable with using it, and the 45 is on sale for $447 at one place. Al's last boat had the 45, and it was a much heavier boat, and ran pretty well with it. I also love being able to put the foot pedal anywhere you like in the boat, and you can get the hand-held remote for it too. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am only going for a 12v system, I want to keep the boat balanced with not too much weight up front.

There are some TM's that will run on either, but I don't think the MK is one of them. I could be wrong though.

As for your boat Pete, I have a 55PD on mine, and although it works pretty good, I want more power. I'd like a 70lb 24volt.

Mine will troll my boat to 2mph on a calm day, but if its windy at all, I have a hard time keeping it going 1.5mph into the wind. I usually have to motor up wind, and troll back with the wind.

Its fine for positioning the boat, but if you want to troll at all with it, go bigger than 55lbs.

P.S I also have a 16ft deep and wide tiller with 40hp.

S.

Pete I'm 99.9 sure that the new powerdrives are 24V only. Make sure he gets a 24V system to run it.

A guy on another board was running his Terrova in 12V until he figured out he was getting like 1/4 of the power out of it. Although it "may" run for a short while. It "will" wreck the motor long term.

For you nothing less than a 55lb would do on that boat in my opinion. I personally prefer the Minn Kota Terrova but sounds like the price is right on the MG.

I called LeBaron and spoke to their sales rep who sells most of their trolling motors. He is 100% that the 70lb is indeed a 24V system. Guess who sold the trolling motor to Al, and insisted that it was 12V? The manager of that location! I called Al, who is currently up at G-Bay with his boat, and let him know not to use it... and BOY is he pleased. If anybody sees some fireworks above Markham early next week, you know what is going on!!!

Back to the search for mine... no, I don't and won't use it for trolling at all, only for scooting around docks, weedbeds and other structure, and boat positioning. Hey, does anyone know if the Motorguide wireless series has that battery maximizing feature? I an guessing that any of the ones that have digital speed control basically accomplish that...

There is also a used Minn Kota Riptide 55 bow mount for sale here in the classifieds... kind of intersting, bow mount but with a tiller style handle. I think I have seen this style before on saltwater boats for redfishing, tarpon, etc. What would the advantages/disadvantages be of this style? Made for people who just can't get the foot control thing down?

I called LeBaron and spoke to their sales rep who sells most of their trolling motors. He is 100% that the 70lb is indeed a 24V system. Guess who sold the trolling motor to Al, and insisted that it was 12V? The manager of that location! I called Al, who is currently up at G-Bay with his boat, and let him know not to use it... and BOY is he pleased. If anybody sees some fireworks above Markham early next week, you know what is going on!!!

Back to the search for mine... no, I don't and won't use it for trolling at all, only for scooting around docks, weedbeds and other structure, and boat positioning. Hey, does anyone know if the Motorguide wireless series has that battery maximizing feature? I an guessing that any of the ones that have digital speed control basically accomplish that...

There is also a used Minn Kota Riptide 55 bow mount for sale here in the classifieds... kind of intersting, bow mount but with a tiller style handle. I think I have seen this style before on saltwater boats for redfishing, tarpon, etc. What would the advantages/disadvantages be of this style? Made for people who just can't get the foot control thing down?

Once you go wireless, you never go back! The MG is digital variable so yes I believe that is the maximizer.

I would still go Minn Kota! B)

I'd go for the most power you can get/afford. I have a 12v 55# MinnKota and its fine in calm conditions but any amount of wind or current and its under powered(16 foot Lund, 1400 lbs)

Some people like the hand control bow-mount, if you're used to foot control you would probably miss it, if its your first bow-mount you might be ok with it.