A day of August Bass fishing

Garry2Rs

I got out yesterday with Gonefishin and his girlfriend Lee.

100_0229.jpg

100_0230.jpg

It was typical tough, late-summer fishing day with bluebird skies.

Of course it was sandwiched between two rainy days...Welcome to Ontario.

We talked about dragging Carolina rigs in deep water, for big fish, but in the end we opted to cruise the shallow bays, tossing solid body plastic frogs/toads under trees and into open spots.

100_0223.jpg

100_0225.jpg

Later we moved to rocks and docks with worms, then worked open areas with swimbaits and cranks.

All in all it was a the kind of day on the water that I love best. Good company, easy talk, casting our way along shorelines, plus we caught enough to keep us interested.

Around lunchtime I witnessed something that I have never seen before.

A family of Loons was swimming in the area we were casting. Rick caught a SMBass as one of the birds dove. In the clear water we could see that the Loon was instantly on the struggling fish...It chased the hooked fish staying in "hot pursuit" inches behind the darting fish. These birds are very agile underwater, capable of turning on a dime at high speed. This one was also very tenacious, not willing to give up the chase until the fish came out of the water and into the boat. What a show!

Rick, it was a pleasure meeting you-two, I hope we can do it again when the Fall bite turns on!

Garry2R's

I had a really good time out there with you last Friday. One thing is for sure, I'll never forget that loon! Never in my life did I think I bird could swim that fast, or would try to eat a bass that big! Makes it a lot easier to under stand how they catch their food lol.

I hope we can hook up again before the season is over, wouldn't mind doing some musky fishing next time.