Entering the Wonderful World of Walleyes

MJL

Great report and pics MJL. Good times fishing with Dad and good friends. It brings a tear of joy to my eye to see my old Sportspal out on the water catching fish, and yes those padded swivel seats are worth every penny. As far as a trolling motor goes, 30lbs or better will be plenty. More importantly, if you can afford it, get one with variable speed control instead of 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds. Some early mornings on calm water the #1 forward speed is way too fast and you can dial the speed to match any wind conditions with the variable.

The sportspal has been put to good use these past two years jedi! Plenty of nice fish have been caught from it since.

It was the first time MJL has seen it. I'll have to take him out on it one day. I'm sure he'll want one after that :D.

I completely agree with you about the motor with variable speed/digital maximizer.

On the sportspal, I am currently using a Minn Kota Maxxum 50lb thrust with digital maximizer. Works great. I can go as slow as I want to, or put it at full speed and get to my spot pretty quick.

I was all ready to believe you had actually caught a walleye until I read this "Only when I brought it up to the surface did it really start to fight...It took a mega long run then and peeled line like a demon possessed!".....about the only thing walleye have going for them is their quality as table fare....picture must've been photoshopped :whistling:<_<:sarcasm:

Great report!!

Guest Johnny Bass

I was all ready to believe you had actually caught a walleye until I read this "Only when I brought it up to the surface did it really start to fight...It took a mega long run then and peeled line like a demon possessed!".....about the only thing walleye have going for them is their quality as table fare....picture must've been photoshopped :whistling:<_<:sarcasm:

Great report!!

:clapping:

Guest natron

If you return in about three weeks, chances are, you'll do much better. Walleye feed heavy towards the end of Aug. and throughout sept.-Oct.

I'd look for some structure, somewhere were the 20ft drops to 6-8 feet, and try jigging with a live minnow. Other baits can work great, but as a lifetime walleye fisherman, I can tell you that this is the most effective and consistent approach to fishing wally's.

Great pics, and glad to see your refreshing enthusiasm towards fishing!