1989 bass boat Q's

jay27fish

My buddy is selling his 1989 malibu bass boat and is willing to give me a deal just wondering if anyone has fished out of one and if its worth 4000 with a new trailer, trolling motor, fish finder, and battries. It has a 70hp merc. the only info i have gotten is that malibu makes a good wake board boat. lol

I have never had a maiibu boat before but it sounds a little pricey to me. While it is nice that it has new support parts trailer, batteries, trolling motor etc how is the other components as far as wear? Is the steering free? does the electrics all work? Most importantly if the motor goes bad is it worth putting a new motor on? Check over the hull for gouges and soft spots they can be a major factor if the boat was stored outside even covered. I picked up a 1989 Ranger with a 150 gt that was garage kept and had no dings or even a scum line here in the States for $1200.00 so the deals are out their. Finally if he is a buddy and the deal goes bad will it affect your friendship??? Ask for a day of fishing were you will pay for everything so you can see it in action might be a good starting point. Then a trip to the mechanic for a motor evaluation will go far in being pleased with the great deal.

Art

My buddy is selling his 1989 malibu bass boat and is willing to give me a deal just wondering if anyone has fished out of one and if its worth 4000 with a new trailer, trolling motor, fish finder, and battries. It has a 70hp merc. the only info i have gotten is that malibu makes a good wake board boat. lol

Take a pass, for $4k or alittle more you can get a much bigger/better boat,example 2 summers ago I sold my 1989 18 1/2'Gambler with a low hr 1994 150 Johnson ready to fish for $5,200,keep looking.

Edited by hirk