A Day of Trophy Toronto Northern Pike

tdotfisherman

Guest Johnny Bass

Very impressice pike report right in Toronto's back yard! Regardless of the wieght, those are some very respectable southern Ontario Pike! Nice job and thanks for posting!

If you don't mind a quick question: What type of lure size did you find success with? No need for specifics, I'm just wondering if I should bring out some of the bigger stuff if I want to hook into a few.

My success in the last few years for Pike has been go big or go home.. I throw nothing but the biggest tackle all year long. Almost Musky sized tackle. Big fish hit big lures.

them some nice fish there boys. I have thought a lot about taking my boat around TO but i don't have a harbor license(or whatever they call it now)did you need the license to get on those fish?

I don't have a harbour liscence.. I don't have the time to write it.. This means that I don't fish the Islands or Toronto Harbour.. but there are many other spots to be found.. as you can see by my success.

In the future I may not even bother posting a report.. I don't have the energy to go to all the effort of posting just to get guff about verticle holds and imbelishing fish weights..

The bottom line is, nobody was there, the photos in my opinion don't even do the fish justice.. and I know the difference between 12 and 18 pounds.. My buddy's Pike was a lot closer to 18 than it was to 12.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Again, I appreciate all the positive feedback from the people who posted such.

-Jason

From everything that I have read you need a harbour license if you want to enter the inner harbour. I believe that means the islands and the western part of the spit.

This is true. The "Harbour" is from the west side of Ashbridges Bay over to Just east of the Humber river. This includes the Leslie St. spit. It is a pretty heafty fine if caught without it. I would recomend writing the test. Its a 3 hour training course with a practical and writen component. $ 15 renewal each year.

T-Dot, never mind the nay sayers, myself included. Keep the reports coming. Just dont start calling out weights unless you actually weighed the fish. This just opens up a can of worms and the arguments start. You got some very nice fish out there.

The toronto pike fishery is probably better than most of the rest of the accessible places to fish in Ontario

When I used to fish it, I would have days of 12-15 fish over 12 lb in the spring. 5-10 lb would be avg fish - again, that would be a good day... but a few over 10 was fairly common

The toronto pike fishery is probably better than most of the rest of the accessible places to fish in Ontario

When I used to fish it, I would have days of 12-15 fish over 12 lb in the spring.

Back in the mid 90's i entered an (all year) large Canada-wide multi-species fishing competition.

The couple of years i did enter, always won 'Pike angler of year' just from 2-3 boat trips to the Toronto Harbourfront in the spring. Had many days of dozen pike 35-42 inches. Beating others from NWT, Manitoba, Quebec etc...

It is an underused fishery mainly due to needing a Harbour permit. Geez, gotta find the time to get one...