Not Impressed

ironstone74

We camped at Guelph Lake this weekend and had a great time. We were canoeing Saturday around 12:30 and the OPP boat passed us at a quick speed which really sent our canoe rocking in its wake. I was a little surprised, but no big deal. A few minutes later we saw the boat ripping around the same arm of the lake, away from us but in sight. The boat was going full out doing quick turns, tight circles, and wide sweeping turns. Guelph Lake does not allow power boats with a couple of exceptions one being the OPP. What is the point of this type of hotdogging??? We thought it was totally inappropriate.

I'm not a police basher or anything I did a stint as an auxilliary cop for several years but I was really disappointed with their boating, especially on a lake that bans powerboats.

What do you guys think???

Paul

If there are no motors allowed, I don't think the OPP should be able to run motors either. I have been stopped by MNR guys paddling canoes before, why wouldn't the OPP do the same?

Not sure that a conoe rescue would be the fastest way for them to respond to the numerous unfortunate accidents that occur each year.

Cheers

Craig

Not sure that a conoe rescue would be the fastest way for them to respond to the numerous unfortunate accidents that occur each year.

Cheers

Craig

Come on man. I'm not saying that the OPP should switch their entire marine fleet to canoes. That's ridiculous.. But if they're out on a small no motor lake on general patrol, why not use a canoe, or a square back with an electric?

I would think that police and other emergency personnel should be the exception and be able to use a gas powered motor on the lake if needed. Weird situation though to be ripping around out there like that. Hopefully it was a training exercise, otherwise you have every right to pissed off because its not acceptable behaviour for our marine officers.

Yeah, we talked about training, but I couldn't explain it. Evasive manouvers training??? How to avoid a rapidly approaching canoe??? How to catch up to an electric powered boat???

I'm going to call Guelph OPP and share my displeasure and see what the Staff Sergeant has to say about it.

Paul

Come on man. I'm not saying that the OPP should switch their entire marine fleet to canoes. That's ridiculous.. But if they're out on a small no motor lake on general patrol, why not use a canoe, or a square back with an electric?

F-is-H..please don't take any offence. I'm not condoning any of the driving that was complained about. I thought that your post said that if the lake was one that motors were not allowed, then you believed the OPP should not be able to use motors either. That was what my response was in relation to. Wasn't a jab man

Cheers

Craig