GARMIN GPSMAP 76

asdve23rveavwa

I use my 60cx for pretty much everything, no problems at all... Works great for Simcoe whities and lakers!

That would be the model you used up at Chapleau with Mike? PM'd him on that report, by the way, absolutely spectacular, you guys worked for it, but, the results were amazing.

Any thoughts on this unit...currently $197 at CT? Looking for something decent that will mark waypoints as well as chart trolling speeds. Radioworld has similiar models, but, I don't see this one on their site.

Thanks in advance!

The 76 is a good unit. My gripe is the computer interface and CD software installation routine. If you don't intend buying lake maps and just want it for waypoints and speed, it's terrific. When you bring maps into the equation, there are better units out there that will accept chips instead of downloading off a CD. I sold mine when it became redundant after buying a Lowrance sonar/gps combo. Sometimes I wish I still had it for the portability.

The 76 is a good unit. My gripe is the computer interface and CD software installation routine. If you don't intend buying lake maps and just want it for waypoints and speed, it's terrific. When you bring maps into the equation, there are better units out there that will accept chips instead of downloading off a CD. I sold mine when it became redundant after buying a Lowrance sonar/gps combo. Sometimes I wish I still had it for the portability.

Thanks for the reply...guess I will look into it a bit further. The portability is a big factor for me, also, Bill mentioned those Simcoe whities and lakers...definitely an application I would like to use come ice season for those fish, as well as Quinte walleye.

One of the guys I fish with almost everytime I go has a 76csx and we've been using it for sometime now with no issues. Actually, you will rarely or never find us out without it in both the boat and truck. Its nice to know whats over that hill sometimes...

As far as lakers go. A GPS was one of the main factors for me in gaining confidence with Lt's especially during the summer. Its amazing how many fish you can catch on one specific waypoint and 30 feet away you won't mark or catch a thing. Immediately improved my catch rate. Oh,Mapsource is the program I've been using. Ive spent hours,days maybe weeks on it searching for lakes, access points, trails and even for the elevation of hills we would encounter. Definitly a key tool to my fishing throughout the year.

$197 seems like a great deal....

TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i use the csx. great unit. the 76 series are a little bulky to carry compared to some of the smaller units garmin makes, but they are very slick in the field.

i use the csx. great unit. the 76 series are a little bulky to carry compared to some of the smaller units garmin makes, but they are very slick in the field.

the 60 series is the same one in a smaller body, the 76's float where the 60's sink like stones.

These have been on sale at various outfits including REI and cabelas because the 62's and 78's are coming out to replace them. The biggest difference is a higher resolution display that will show the new 3D maps. = very handy when looking at soundings and topographical maps.

the 60 series is the same one in a smaller body, the 76's float where the 60's sink like stones.

Love the floating feature, drop it in a hole ice fishing at least it doesn't "sink into the drink", :lol:

Thanks, for the replies, all...I've been researching them the past 24 hours, the suggested retail in the US for this unit is $199.99. So, no surprise here, the regular price at CT is inflated.

the suggested retail in the US for this unit is $199.99. So, no surprise here, the regular price at CT is inflated.

Indeed, I paid less than the current CTC sale price about 4 years ago when it was still fresh on the market.