Line Q - Time to spool up

mdej

Its that time of year I need to get my maintenece done and spool up the reels.

The only reel outstanding the Stradic 2500. This reel is mounted on a medium 6'6" rod.

What I want to know, 2 spools what to spool them up with. The setup is used for bass mainly for working smaller cranks and plastics (including tubes).

I will fill one spool with mono and 1 spool with braid.

Now the question. I'm thinking 8lb Trilene Maxx mono for the first spool (likly clear, not sure when to use green).

For the 2nd I think I will try the new Fireline Crystal but I don't know what size. I was thinking 6lb size (14lb test) or maybe 8lb size (20lb test).

Any advice is appreciated.

You will get different opimions on this,so here is mine.

Tubes,I have been using the P-Line Florocoated the last 2 years. I have no complaints about it and I use the tube ALOT.

Braid ,I use 20 PP for my jerk baits.

Thats what I use.

I just did almost the same thing with one of my spinning reels.

One spool got 14lb Fireline Crystal, the other got 10lb Trilene XT(the orange one...'cause it's what I had here :thumbsup_anim: )

I haven't used the Fireline yet, but my bro-in-law swears by it so I figured I'd better try it.

On my two spools for my medium bass rod I have one spooled with 6 lb Sensation, and the other with 15 lb Power Pro. The 6 lb spool si great for smaller grubs, cranks, and livebait in open, clear water, and the braid is for long distance tubing, or fishing largies in weeds with larger texas-rigged plastics. The Crystal line isn't clear like they'd like you to believe; it's still a braid, and even though it looks translucent when magnified 50x, it's still opaque. At least green-coloured lines will blend in with weeds when fishing largies.

Edited by BabyHerc

Vanish 8lb floro will be great for one spool, and look at 10lb or 15lb FINS PRT for the other reel. Especially with spinning some braids will work better than others by preventing wind knots, coatings on the line for colour retention and also castability. Make sure on the spool with the braid that you leave some mono on the spool to prevent the line from slipping. If you get the FINS you get 150yrds and should be able to do 2 reels with it as well.

Hey mdej,

I think your talking about spinning reels but the same premice holds true here. Last year I bought a new bait caster rod and reel which I spooled up with 20 LB braid PP I think. I found that it was so sensative (with no stretch) that my hook ups were great, BUT I when started fighting the fish I ended up losing quite a few more than with just straight mono and I'm thinking it's because I horsed the fish and/or my drag was too tight... So this year I'll going to loosen my drag and use a 6-8ft. flouro leader.

I forgot to mention that I would be tube jigging here, don't think it makes as much difference when running crank, spinner or buzz baits from a sensativity perspective.

Hey mdej,

I think your talking about spinning reels but the same premice holds true here. Last year I bought a new bait caster rod and reel which I spooled up with 20 LB braid PP I think. I found that it was so sensative (with no stretch) that my hook ups were great, BUT I when started fighting the fish I ended up losing quite a few more than with just straight mono and I'm thinking it's because I horsed the fish and/or my drag was too tight... So this year I'll going to loosen my drag and use a 6-8ft. flouro leader.

I forgot to mention that I would be tube jigging here, don't think it makes as much difference when running crank, spinner or buzz baits from a sensativity perspective.

Oh yeah, Let us know what you decide and also how you found the lines worked for you.

Thanks guys.

I have spooled up the Stradic with 14# Fireline Crystal if nothing else to try it out.

I have tried PowerPro and like it (and will stick with in on bait casters) and was not to happy with Spiderwire. But unless I try something new I won't know if I like it or not.

So as for the 2nd spool I was thinking floro, only think is that I have tired 4# Seaguar floro main line on my ultra light spinning setup and what I found was that is had to much line memory.

Not sure if thats the brand or the floro.

Did not pick up and MAXX, but I think again to try something new, I will go with 8# MAXX unless I see so good opinions that show me not too.