Towing Concerns

I used to have a Pro Sport 150 Legend with a four stroke 25 and used to tow it with a Toyota Corolla. I will admit it wasn't the best tow vehicle..however I took it easy...stopped well in advance and never had any

problems.

The GVWR is a government rating on the vehicle not the manufactures.

For every pound you put in or on the tow vehicle you lose in tow capacity.

100lb tongue weight. the wife 120lbs. the two kids 140lbs and what ever else

you stuff in there.

looks to me that your over.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

I agree Tybo but there are a lot of people who do and will continue too tow a rig with a car personally i think it`s risky and potentially very dangerous I just hope that when those little 4 cylinder car parts start breaking under the strain I am not any where nearby.

Thanks for the link Percher. I skimmed it and got this...... and even though the article is from Australia, it must come close to the way gov't treats vehicles here. They're in cahoots you know! LOL! :rolleyes:

Here's a passage re what a vehicle without a towing-amount sticker cantow, that was interesting...

" When the trailer doesn’t have brakes installed, the maximum capacity will be equal to the unladen mass of the motor vehicle."

To me that means you shouldn't tow anything almost as heavy as the empty towing vehicle. So it seems in Australia at least, a car is allowed to tow a light 14ft tinny with motor around, since there ain't no way a 14ft tinny with trailer and motor weighs as much as the tow vehicle.

looks to me that your over.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is.....if you are NOT comfortable merely following the tow capacity rating of your vehicle, by all means knock yourself out with extra brakes, jake brakes, oil coolers, tranny coolers, beefed up shocks, coil overs , etc. etc. Nobody will criticize you for it.

For those who are comfortable making and living by their own decisions, just follow the recommended tow capacity and you will be fine (except for a bit of criticism from those who disagree with you).

:Gonefishing: