Shade's Mill Lake in Cambridge

whynotalen

Hey all,

this is my first time posting after finally getting my account working but I have been reading great things in the forum so far. I wish I had known about it earlier.

I was wondering if someone can give me a little advice on fishing the Shade's Mill reservoir in Cambridge. I know there is Bass and Pike in there. Half the lake is deep with a couple of points as well as the two small islands while the other half is very shalllow with lots of weed almost to the top and lots of old tree roots in the water. I have tried numerous techniques in all locations but I am having a tough time getting even any bites there. I am very new at fishing, this is only my second summer of seriously pursuing it and I am absolutely loving it. Being new, I am never sure if I am doing things right so this is what I tried at Shade's Mill out of my canoe.

I have tried mepps spinners overtop the weeds and around the tree trunks --> nothing

I have tried weedless softbait through-out the weedsd --> nothing

In the deeper spots i have tried jigging with a twist tail --> nothing

In the deeper spots I have also tried the top water baits as well as a couple sinking crankbaits --> nothing

So finally I went to live worms and caught panfish, but not what I was after sad.gif

Thanks for any help

I usually go before bass season and target crappies with tiny 1/16oz jigs and 1" grubs. There are some big crappies in there.

If you have a fishfinder try and locate the original creek channel. Then work your way shallower with a flippin' jig or a tube jig. There are stumps in over 20ft of water at Shade's, it's just a matter of finding them. There will be a few Bass on the stumps at some depth. No pike leaders or swivels and either light line or flouro to keep the stealth factor in your favour. Shades is a great little lake, right in the city, that feels like you are somewhere far from civilization.

perchy.jpg

suny.jpg

This was a kayaking trip with my daughter at Shades on July 2/10.

Edited by jediangler