Changing water pump impeller

Rattletrap2

I've done this quite a number of years ago on a 9.9 Merc, but never on a bigger outboard.

Mine is working fine, but I have not done it since i got the motor 9 years ago...and who knows when it was done before that. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it", but we all know this part is made of rubber and will eventually fail when we least want it to.

Has anyone done one on a mid 80's 90 H.P. Merc or similar?

I noticed slowpoke has a Mariner 75 H.P. that is not peeing and this could be next on his list?

Is it just the 4 bolts and the lower unit drops off? I know you should have gaskets and such for the repair job, but just curious about how much work it is to get at it.

Thanks

I've done this quite a number of years ago on a 9.9 Merc, but never on a bigger outboard.

Mine is working fine, but I have not done it since i got the motor 9 years ago...and who knows when it was done before that. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it", but we all know this part is made of rubber and will eventually fail when we least want it to.

Has anyone done one on a mid 80's 90 H.P. Merc or similar?

I noticed slowpoke has a Mariner 75 H.P. that is not peeing and this could be next on his list?

Is it just the 4 bolts and the lower unit drops off? I know you should have gaskets and such for the repair job, but just curious about how much work it is to get at it.

Thanks

I have a '91 Merc 90 and have done the waterpump several times.

It's not hard at all, the hardest part is reinstalling the lower unit afte the impeller work is done.

I have the Mercury repair manual for my engine and can copy and send you a PDF of the removal and installation of the water pump if you like.

You will have wait a day or two though as I will need to do it at work.