Fishing @ the Pinery

scugpg

Hi all - I'm going to try and get up to the Pinery in the next couple of weeks and was wondering where to fish. Last time we rented canoes and fished on the top part where the rentals are...saw tons of panfish and a couple pike and bass. I'm wondering if its worth trying below the rental spot? I've heard there's bowfin in there also and was wondering how to target them. Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers.

Yes there are bowfins,pike and some very large largemouth. I have also caught perch,crappies,carp,and a gar. The bowfins I caught were all on worms drifting down the channel,they are tough and mean and put up a great fight.The second bridge in the park closer to the burley area is another area to try.

I've fished the Pinery for almost 20 years, and although it wouldn't be my first choice to fish, I love camping there, so you take what you can get...

The far North end, at the turn for the day-use beach, can sometimes hold a few big bass, it's fairly deep in some holes, and you can get suprises there.

The rental area is okay for panfish, cats, and the odd bass usually, but if you really want to find the biggest bass in the park, they're in the culvert, after the waterfall. The opposite side of the intake from the dock, where there's just a dirt path and a rock at the mouth is where you want to go, and cast a worm into the white water under the road.... That's where they are.

The other side of that bridge, the 'low' side used to be the best place in the park to fish. Load of bass, pike, bowfin and sunfish, but now it's just too weedy to do anything.

The far southern end, the Burley bridge area is actually pretty deep. My wife and I flipped a canoe there, and the spot was well over 12'. Loads of carp, some pike, bass and sunfish.

You won't be looking for any record fish there, but there are loads of places to look, loads of fish to catch, and you may just get a nice suprise.

Missed going there for the first time in 18 years, due to 2 kids graduating and my refusal to go there when the kids are out of school. Let me know how it was, I'll probably do a weekend there in October.