How to increase drag

I recently disassembled my abu revo sx for first time maintenance. I've done many times with my revo s and black max. The shematics and interior design was very much the same, however, my revo sx now has decreased drag strength-definately not the prescirbed 24lbs no more. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Could it be oil or grease (accidental) on the drag disks?

Or something went wrong when re-assembling the handle side?

Any tips will be helpful thanks

Check the two drag spring washer, when look at the washer from the side, you will notice the washer is not flat, it is curved like this "(" when putting the two washers together,

it should look like this: ")(",

If you stack it like "((" or "))" , it will not give enough tension to have a proper drag.

hope this will help.

You should look into carbontex aftermarket drags by smoooth drag. I have used them in old C3s and also a Calcutta TE100GT. They're the smoothest, most consistent drags I own. I haven't fished a reel with stock drag that came even close to the carbontex washers. I'm on my phone now but I'll get you the link when I get home. Alternatively you can just google "smoooth drag"

thanks, anyone know if I can wach the carbon drag washers?

I also recommend Smooth drag carbontex washers. I found the company had very good sevice. I wasn't sure what I needed for one of my "not so common" reels, and they found exactly what I needed. I've added the link.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

As far as washing old drag washers, I used WD-40 to clean them, then let the washers dry, worked fine for me. WD-40 is much better as a solvent than as a lubricant. And it's something most guys will have around their homes.

Andy

abu garcia switched to woven carbon drags in most if not all of their reels a few years ago so smoothdrag's carbontex isn't going be a big change for your reel.

If you lost a ton of drag, it's not going to be from getting oil on that type of disc. I would guess you probably put the drag stack together wrong or some other parts between the drag knob and the drag stack were reinstalled wrong. the drag stack has round, eared and keyed washers that need to be in the right order to turn against all drag discs.

I will however recommend installing carbontex in your other reels though. a wet carbontex setup is the smoothest drag i know of, you can dial any amount of drag and there won't be the sticky startup that all other drag materials have.

Edited by j ace