Is the Nippising level effecting fishing this year?

Raycaster

Our annual fishing trip to Lake Nippising next week will be spent in the West Arm and I was hoping on getting a "head's Up" for that location. We are pretty familiar with the lake but have spent most of our time in Cache Bay, Calandar Bay and the islands.

Doing some google searches shows the water is REALLY LOW and was wondering how that has effected to fishing in the area. Last year the rock's in the middle of the lake scared us enough now the water is 62cm lower? I guess we are a different bunch because we really key on the pike and bass and pretty well leave the Walle alone.

The spinner bait lure with an extra hook has been successful the past years, any changes?

If anyone has some info on what conditions to expect for boating and some "pike lairs" located in the West Arm it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time, can't wait to get there!

The low water did not negatively impact my fishing this June. I was in the south shore area not the west arm.

Don't worry about the rocks you almost hit last year.. they'll be easy to see. It's the other ones that you'll have to watch-out for. :wallbash:

The bass will be in the same areas and the pike will still be looking for baitfish.

A spinnerbait is always a good go to lure for both pike and bass. I'll just about always throw a topwater lure first though, if the conditions are right, because it is the most fun way to catch fish. When my brother and I are in the boat we try to at least start off fishing two different types of lures. Have fun and don't forget your camera. :Gonefishing:

The fish are still there. Yes the water is down 2 1/2 to 3' but I don't think it has really effected the fishing at all. Spent a fair amount of time on the West Arm in June and July. I am a white spinnerbait fan for both pike and bass.

As kickingfrog said, don't worry overly about the rocks that you CAN see. It's really no different than any other year. Use common sense. The channels are still OK. Go slow when you are out of the channels and don't believe everything your GPS tells you.......there are some red and green buoys reversed in West Bay.

Where are you staying?

Welcome aboard by the way!

Edited by John

Thx for the replies guys...

Will be staying at the WestArm Lodge for the weekend hoping for good weather.

We've been at the lake yearly for awhile now but never in the West Arm. As mentioned we made our way thru the cabbage soup in Cache Bay and had pretty good luck with the pike. Don't really know what to expect in the West Arm waters but sounds like it should be fun and a year off from Cache Bay soup might be nice. Gonna need Air Boats for Cache Bay soon as untangling the prop every 5 minutes is a little tiring but like they say "Any day fishing is better than"...

If anyone wants to pass a few holes to this West Arm newbie it would be much appreciated.

I am heading up to north bay this weekend gonna be fishing sat early am and sunday in lake Nippising/collander bay and hopefully be able to get out into the lake. I am looking into muskie and bass. anyone know wat lure I should use and wat section i should head for. Any info is greatly appreciated

I am heading up to north bay this weekend gonna be fishing sat early am and sunday in lake Nippising/collander bay and hopefully be able to get out into the lake. I am looking into muskie and bass. anyone know wat lure I should use and wat section i should head for. Any info is greatly appreciated

Not sure on the Muskie but riding the edges of the marshes with white spinners is usually successful. Pol glasses are recommended, 15ft casts in and out of weeds with a watchfull figure 8 at the end has proven very productive in the area.

Just got back. Fishing was fantastic and I hope to get a report up soon.

Hey Marty the Pens just had a photo op at Heinz field for the winter classic. Are you hardy enough to sit outside on New years for a hacky game?

I bet that plummer ain't gonna want to come up from Virginia to watch his Caps play shinny. :canadian: :canadian: