Halfway Lake Provincial Park

Gregoire

Went up to camping to Halfway Lake a week or so ago with my buddy. The bite was tough in general. I am guessing with the warm water the fish were pretty deep. All we had was a rented canoe, and I was not organized enough to get a topo map, something I always say i'll never fish without. The first day we hit the lake on the other side of the highway. Nothing but small bass and pike caught on worms and spinners.

The next day we went out again. Very slow. Only one fish caught, but it was the biggest smallie I've ever seen. To make matters worse my buddy, who had only fished once before, and had never caught a bass, reeled it in. I had to get him to tighten the drag a few times. After he got the drag set he forgot which way to reel, and said the reel was broken. All in all it's a miracle the hook wasn't spit and that we landed the fish.

You can tell from the photo that he was excited.

JasonBass.jpg

Here is another pic with me holding the same fish. This should give you a better idea of the size of the fish. I am not holding it close to the camera, this fish was a big as it looks in this pic.

GregBass.jpg

This fish was released, so he is still swimming around somewhere in the lake.

There was only one other decent fish caught. A smaller guy around 3.5 pounds.

The park itself is awesome. A long way to go from TO, but empty and well organized. I think I have my buddy hooked on fishing. Hopefully next time we'll go to a place with a better bite.

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice smallie. Good to see you guys wearing your life jackets. The water looks a little choppy and you never know when someone will come flying by. Anyways, thanks for sharing and it looks like you made a new fishing partner.lol