Another Engine Question

canuckjack

Well I'd much rather be posting a nice report but instead it's more fun with a newbie and his outboard.

I noticed after the last time out that there's a chunk of seal hanging out from between the lower engine cover and the mid-section. It's the housing to cover seal and it looks to have broken near the front and it's now slipping out, I'd imagine one small tug and it'd be free. On the upside, it's a nice cheap part but I'm going to need my FIL to lend a hand replacing this and that probably won't be possible for a couple weeks or so.

My question for the experts is, other than getting a bunch of dirty exhaust crap on the side of the mid-section is there any harm in running the motor again before replacing the seal?

You may have a problem with exhaust getting into the intake and causing the motor to run rough. It is not that difficult to pull the lower cowl off, and hold the seal in place with sone masking tape as you reassemble.

Well I'd much rather be posting a nice report but instead it's more fun with a newbie and his outboard.

I noticed after the last time out that there's a chunk of seal hanging out from between the lower engine cover and the mid-section. It's the housing to cover seal and it looks to have broken near the front and it's now slipping out, I'd imagine one small tug and it'd be free. On the upside, it's a nice cheap part but I'm going to need my FIL to lend a hand replacing this and that probably won't be possible for a couple weeks or so.

My question for the experts is, other than getting a bunch of dirty exhaust crap on the side of the mid-section is there any harm in running the motor again before replacing the seal?

You can temporarily use a tube of "THE RIGHT STUFF".If you have to use the engine!Or to keep moisture from getting in(wear gloves while using it).Other than that,replace the gasket.I keep a tube in the boat,just in case!

I'm guessing here that you mean a small piece of cardboard gasket, not a rubber seal? Unless you can actually see any evidence of a leak, it may just be a 'tag' sticking out a little from the original gasket that you never noticed before. I have one of these on each side of my Mercury's power head. If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

You may have a problem with exhaust getting into the intake and causing the motor to run rough. It is not that difficult to pull the lower cowl off, and hold the seal in place with sone masking tape as you reassemble.

Sounds fairly painless, I plan to go order the part tomorrow so should be able to install it next week. Might take it out for a couple of quick trips, I'm guessing it's been an issue for awhile now so I'll be interested to see if there's a difference once the new seal is installed.

You can temporarily use a tube of "THE RIGHT STUFF".If you have to use the engine!Or to keep moisture from getting in(wear gloves while using it).Other than that,replace the gasket.I keep a tube in the boat,just in case!

I think I can actually "stuff" the seal back into place temporarily, but there's no way moisture is getting in that far up, it's more the exhaust coming out that I'm not loving.

I'm guessing here that you mean a small piece of cardboard gasket, not a rubber seal? Unless you can actually see any evidence of a leak, it may just be a 'tag' sticking out a little from the original gasket that you never noticed before. I have one of these on each side of my Mercury's power head. If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's definitely the rubber seal and not the gasket, it's an 89 johnson which has a gasket under the seal as well, thinking I may want to grab one of those as well while I'm at it.

Thanks for the replies guys