AAA and Baseball

aniceguy

Although not baseball, my youngest daughter (12 yrs old) has been heavily involved in Taekwondo since the age of five.

ChanelleandMasterVillanuevaage5.jpg

( she got her yellow stripe that day)

She currently trains 3-5 nights per week and keeps straight A grades.

She also keeps her room clean, most days. :good:

On the off chance I can get her out fishing the last year, she still has her brain on the sport she loves.

CIMG3072.jpg

Her sport has her competing somewhere in the province every 4 weeks and involves over night stays at most tournaments.

My wife is the REAL support system in all this and has blossomed further in her own path as a parent because of this sport.

IMG_0428.jpg

( My daughter is holding two gold medals in that pic from the 2010 Canadian Nationals Championships. She is also the 2008 and 2009 champion for her age and weight category.)

As much as we think we are supporting the kids, and we do, I think we are also being given a huge gift in the social interaction of people that have a common bond through our children's sport activities.

Don't worry about being a little tired at this stage of the game, the kids are gonna have to look after us when we get old too :rofl2:

Edited by splashhopper

Who here has Children playing at this level... I have two and am getting tired lol..just curious who else is in the same shoe

The fun really starts when their hockey coaches start giving out ultimatums that the kid has to skip AA OBA's to attend fall Peewee tryouts AA.

Steve had played virtually every inning that season and always in the 4 hole so you know what he meant to the team. He told the hockey coach to shove it. Of course the hockey coach relented and invited Steve out for the final round of cuts. He didn't go.

Same thing happened with high school volleyball (AA/AAA) and basketball when he was in Grade 11. He chose volleyball. Eventually he also ditched baseball in favour of volleyball as he was playing year round by then. He said volleyball nationals were better than OBA's. :thumbsup_anim:

Hopefully the various associations lighten up one day and let the kids just be kids instead of pre-professional trainees. Unfortunately many parents are so deep into the Wayne Gretzky syndrome that they support the association nonsense. Can't see thru the stars in their eyes.

Good luck to you and the kids. It's a crazy time.

JF

We've got a year of select hockey under our belts.6pm games in Scarbourgh from Etobicoke! 401 nightmares.It's not so bad for me as i finish work @ 230 but i see some of the parents struggle every game to get there on time.I don't see it as my kids the next Gretzky but he likes it and so far so do we.

I hear ya Johnboth my boays play AAA oba ball and its coming on close to 90 games combined since May 10 to now. Add the twice a week practices and its a long haul. I focus on development from a mechinical aspect to stratagy in coaching

I always tell parents that winning is for them. We try to weed out the AA or AAA hockey players as thier in season

sport hockey in the winter prevents them from developing problem is most strong ball players are also hockey players

I tell the kids that in winter hockey is the inseason sport and in summer baseball is, I had a hockey coach tell one

of my kids if he missed a double practice on a weekend while I had a tournament he would be on the bench

I called the coach and it wasnt a nice conversation, I think he got the message once ethical decision making processes were explained

Baseball was not for my kids.They tried it one year,but they loved rep hockey and soccer, and that was enough. Oldest played AA-AAA,youngest, local travelteam.Both goalies :w00t: .Oldest traveled as far east as Bowmenville (week night games) for league hockey games,then there was the tourneys.Kanata for hockey and soccer in the summer :blink: . I tell ya,it was hard on the sleeps and the pocket book.Thank goodness the younger one gave up the hockey for skateboarding,although 5-6 boards a summer was a bit of a hit aswell.LOL

I could say I dont miss it,but there is a part that wished ,they could do it again.All good times,well almost all.

Hopefully the various associations lighten up one day and let the kids just be kids instead of pre-professional trainees. Unfortunately many parents are so deep into the Wayne Gretzky syndrome that they support the association nonsense. Can't see thru the stars in their eyes.

I just had to quote these words of wisdom.

Cheers JF