missing fish on my fav pond

skinny

well the last 3 or 4 times out I have not gotten a fish in the boat . get hits but loose them. I like fishing with texas rigged frogs. my fav was the yum buzz frog but it seems to be getting hard to find. I also have some big bite toads.

well I will toss it out and wham there he is on it I can feel it so I set the hook (Ithink) and then there is nothing. now I do not use braid as of yet. could I be loosing my set in streach of the line.

I also have other frogs like scum and spro but I just don't seem to have the luck with them like i do with the plastic ones.

so far the hits are hard to find on the pond not like last year but it was aso later in season(late aug into sept) when I got out on the pond. if you look around in the water there is tons of minnows (bait fish) so I'm thinking maybe the fish are feeding on the easy stuff.

any pointers on getting the fish to stay on the hook would be great.

i have been thinking of trying braid

I use 20 pound mono with my Yum Buzz Frogs.

When I get hit, but don't hook-up I assume that it was a Dink that grabbed a foot and pulled the frog under.

If I have the presents of mind, I stop reeling and let the frog sink...I had a client last year who did this while I was watching.

The strike was from the smallest of three bass that were following the bait.

When the frog sank/hung in the water, the largest fish, a five pounder, swam up and sucked it in!!!

JayandMary004-1.jpg

Our friend Curtis, from this board, is a small lake/pond expert. He said that his best fish are all coming on the dropshot now...

Garry2rs

All I used for fishing slop was 17# test mono, line stretch isn`t that big of an issue. Surface lures in slop, they can be frustrating at times, misses, some times the fish don`t get a good aim. If you are waiting until you feel the weight of the fish to set the hook? No good answer? small bass? Like Garry says, they can be the most actives ones, he gave some good advice, a miss stop and settle, a big fish might pick it up.

Lots of bait fish in the water? Try a white texas rigged tube, a white swimming jig. You can also try slowing the pace down, sometimes a different lure that can be worked slowly thru the junk will increase the connection rate, one of my favorites for that was an unweighted lizard swim it slowly and let it settle in any open spot, bass may follow it and nail it on the drop. If it`s swimming slowly they get a better aim.