NF cheap smoker build

Rodwrap

I've been going to do this for a year or more. Finally got around to it, taking me from horizontal to UDS :roll:

My good friend Jim is a boss at a barrel mfg. plant 3 miles away ( Berenfield),& got me some brand new drums. So, I burnt this one out, then took it to the carwash & pressure washed it.

drumfire.jpg

burnt & washed..

burntdrum.jpg

Drilled 3/4 holes 2" from bottom, figure the refridg. magnets are the way to go for me.

Bought Weber charcoal rack & 22.5 food rack. Put 6" X 3/8" carriage bolts in to hold the charcoal rack {{ figured a guy COULD use 4 red bricks on edge to support the charcoal rack, too :idea: }}

Charcoal rack & can in place..

basketcan.jpg

painted with 500` engine paint, installed 2" X 12" nipple in bung.

test fire.

startingfire.jpg

yanked the can out, after 20 min put lid on waited 30 min. checked temp

temp.jpg

half-hour late I figured might a swell not waste the fire & tossed come chik pieces on. To my surprise, temps hold VERY WELL :!:

just puffin' away..

justpuffinaway.jpg

anyway, I'm learning to 'smoke upright' thanks to the Ringers :) :wink:

I DID have to remove the small bung in the lid,too. I'll need to learn 'Tweaking the Temp" with it.

firstcookonBUDS.jpg

OH BTW...I left the lid off ( by accident) while I was prepping the chicken...temp SHOT to over 500`...so I tested the paint...did good!

LOL...the ol' gal in the back was given to me about 6 years ago. I "cut my teeth" on the old horizontal stickburner. I think it's made from an old boiler of some kind.

My 'problem' is I need more capacity as my BBQ expands. The drum smoker is VERY effecient...airtight...easily controlled...& I can leave it for 6-8 hours unattended.

The old horizontal, thou, is at least 3/8" thick stuff..once I get it warmed up, It cooks the same even if it's 10 below outside...

Ohhh Man... I have got to build me a UDS... After years of looking at being built, seeing them in progress and looking at the final result..(that being food) I have been looking for a source for a food grade drum for some time.. but have come up empty :(

anyways... good looking cook! I would hit them!

G