Caught a couple Smallmouth at Guelph Lake tonight

markiemark70

Decided to go back to Guelph Lake tonight where I haven't been in a few years. I was pretty dissapointed to find out that they had the Island cordoned off for Hillside festival (that's the second time that has happened to me. Must use calendar.)

Anyways I decided to make the best of it and try a few new spots. Fished for a bit less than 2 hours and pulled in 2 smallmouth in the 2 lb range. Sure as hell beats a skunk (my usual shore fishing) and not a bad way to spend 2 hours.

Both fish were caught on Senkos (Black/Orange and Watermelon/Green) wacky rigged using a S-L-O-W drag across the bottom.

Edited by Mark Adams

Yes I am sure they were smallies. I really wish there was a better boat rental situation there or that I owned my own boat. I would love to go out on the lake and see what is out there. I was pretty impressed with the 2 fish I caught in less than 2 hours from shore. Both were respectable fish.

Yes I am sure they were smallies. I really wish there was a better boat rental situation there or that I owned my own boat. I would love to go out on the lake and see what is out there. I was pretty impressed with the 2 fish I caught in less than 2 hours from shore. Both were respectable fish.

It's a motorless lake, electric motors only or Kayaks/Canoes/Paddle Boats. That's probably why the fishing is still above par.

Guelph Lake has some excellent small and largemouth fishing.

As Ryan said no motorized (gas) engines allowed. But that said I have seen people use there boats and electric trolling motor.

I use a canoe to fish it and have done well. Last time I was at the park I think they rented jon boats with electric motors. Does anyone know if that is still the case? That could be something to try if you don't want to paddle.

Ryan my evenings look good for next week with the exception of Thursday. Shoot me a PM if you want to head out somewhere, could even do Guelph lake.

Guelph Lake has some excellent small and largemouth fishing.

As Ryan said no motorized (gas) engines allowed. But that said I have seen people use there boats and electric trolling motor.

I use a canoe to fish it and have done well. Last time I was at the park I think they rented jon boats with electric motors. Does anyone know if that is still the case? That could be something to try if you don't want to paddle.

Ryan my evenings look good for next week with the exception of Thursday. Shoot me a PM if you want to head out somewhere, could even do Guelph lake.

I called last year (before I bought my boat) they do not rent the jon boats and motors...too many problems with the batteries.

Yeah I asked at tha gate before I left and they only rent canoes and kayaks. Those are not really an option for me due to my size and comfort level on the water. I do a yearly canoe trip on the Grand with a buddy and that is OK because it is a river, but I could not get comfortable on a lake.

Oh well someday I guess I will get to try it.

BTW does anyone know why people are always parked near the dam outside the park? Are you allowed to fish from the dam and do you think you could get anything from there?