Balsam or Cameron?

siwash

HEY folks,

I have not been up to the Kawarthas yet this year. Wanna try some new lakes as I am bringing some guests (3 kids under 10 and my cousin). I've heard Cameron is a decent, fishable lake due to its size. We dont wan trophy stuff... just a good mix of panfish for the kids and some gamefish for the adults. What about Balsam. I heard that there are some good spots around the Park. Any general areas to zero in on?

Thanks!

Man, your post takes me back. We used to go up Fenelon Falls during the 50s and 60s, back when Jim Curtis had the cabins on the river across from town. Dad used to take us across to one of the big cement blocks between the canal and the river, give the three of us kids a pot of worms, and we would sit there hauling in all sorts of panfish. At night we would take the boat just into the middle of the river and anchor it, and that was where he taught me how to use a jitterbug, still one of my favourite lures.

We occasionally went through the locks to Balsam and Sturgeon, but Cameron can provide your kids with all the panfish action they want. There is more to that lake than a lot of people give it credit for, and if you don't want to go through locks there is the Burnt River at the north end that you can try out. Near where it joins Cameron there is a very weedy area, like a bay, I believe it's called Goose Lake, which someone once told us was an old sanctuary. Haven't been able to get much out of it in the past, but my skills have (hopefully) improved since I last fished it about 17 years ago. Cameron has walleye and musky as well, but like you said don't expect trophy size.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but if you choose Cameron I'm really looking forward to your trip report!

Thanks Dave. . . wow the 50's eh? must have been good fishing back then

I was hoping some smallies would also co-operate in addition to the muskie and walleye... kids are happy with action - so am i quite frankly

I will let you know how we make out... might go by myself first... have to see what the next week or so brings

I used to fish two lakes alot. I feel Cameron lake is more fishable, and Balsam has more trophy. Spots on Cameron are stable, meaning fish stay much longer. It has less pressure than Balsam.

Ya can easily catch walleye at opener. The biggest ski I caught was 43" on Cameron.

Balsam, I've fished the lake for 20 years and it has always produced.

If you launch at Rosedale, come out and turn left, there is a rock pile that is marked with a bottle. Fish all sides for panfish, smallies and walleye the evening. I usually fish 10 - 18 feet of water. Areas off long point and indian point are good as well.

Good luck !

BL :Gonefishing:

Balsam, I've fished the lake for 20 years and it has always produced.

If you launch at Rosedale, come out and turn left, there is a rock pile that is marked with a bottle. Fish all sides for panfish, smallies and walleye the evening. I usually fish 10 - 18 feet of water. Areas off long point and indian point are good as well.

Good luck !

BL :Gonefishing:

Thanks BL, great info... maybe we'll try both!