riggin

brkygetr

So as the subject says I have no clue about down-rigg'in. Gonna get into it as I have relocated to the great lakes (specifically Huron around Lions Head) and I need to fish. Got a rigger for the boat and gonna go hell or high water to get me some salmon.

Anyone at all fish the bay or the east shore of the penninsula? I have tried the past 2 weeks driftin and jiggin while everyone around me is riggin. They must think I am crazy. I missed one, prob a laker as I was using a 2 oz. bucktail just off bottom. 40-200 ft of water in a matter of yards.

So anywho, anyone got a few suggestions..was just checking out Tony-b's post about Lake O. and noticed the green fly/jig thing...what is that?

I'm not that good at postin lately or pics but if it works I will show you's the proof.

Thanks ladies and gents...

Dale

So as the subject says I have no clue about down-rigg'in. Gonna get into it as I have relocated to the great lakes (specifically Huron around Lions Head) and I need to fish. Got a rigger for the boat and gonna go hell or high water to get me some salmon.

Anyone at all fish the bay or the east shore of the penninsula? I have tried the past 2 weeks driftin and jiggin while everyone around me is riggin. They must think I am crazy. I missed one, prob a laker as I was using a 2 oz. bucktail just off bottom. 40-200 ft of water in a matter of yards.

So anywho, anyone got a few suggestions..was just checking out Tony-b's post about Lake O. and noticed the green fly/jig thing...what is that?

I'm not that good at postin lately or pics but if it works I will show you's the proof.

Thanks ladies and gents...

Dale

Ha, welcome to the water with no fish, now that I have your hopes down to a reasonable level, remember that some things that work on those glow in the dark 40lb salmon from that stinky pond known as Lake O, don't necessarily work all that well or at all on the GBay/Lake Huron salmon. I've tried the Spin Doctor/fly combo a number of times with nothing. A lot of the GBay/ Owen Sound guys use Silver Fox lures, silver/green/blue colours, or Fish Witches if you can find any. Plugs like Lymans, in the old White /Black ladderback are the most reliable. What depth to troll at?, depends on the water temps, around Owen Sound last week, the preferred temps were only down 45-55 feet over 80 FOW. After a good blow, it can be a real roll of toilet paper. There's a very good tackle shop up in Owen Sound, Watsons Tackle House, good people, won't give you the gears. Good luck.

Well here's round two of my effort, seeing as how all the rest must be just whaling in the fish.

You have a downrigger(s), do you have bal..never mind that part, cannon balls, preferably not the round ones from the dark ages, but heck for now they'll do. Keep an eye out for either the flatter pancake shaped ones or torpedo weights, they track straighter and don't swing back as far. Downrigger release clips, there's many different models, I prefer the "Offshore" black ones, they're small and they work. Depending on what fishing line you use, mono 14-17lb is lots sufficient, let out about 20 feet of line with your spoon attached, squeeze the release and insert the line about 1/2 way, do a controlled "lower away the cannonball" meanwhile paying out line from the rod. Say at 50 feet down, stop cannon ball, place rod in the rod holder and gently retrieve some of the line until you have a good curve in the rod. If you use braided line, you may find that you have to insert the line all the way into the downrigger release and even then, it may pop off on its own, too slippery for my liking. If you see fish on the F/F, you can either raise or lower the cannon ball to get into the preferred zone. Don't forget to pay out line while lowering and retrieve if you come up higher. Now for this part REALLY pay attention. Some people drag their bal..cannon balls on the lake bottom to stir up the mud when chasing lakers. If you get hung up between rocks, fishing nets, etc, have a dedicated pair of sidecutters that stay right beside the downriggers, you can, others have and paid the price, get sucked down if you get hung up in the nets, or from wave action if you get hung up on bottom. Go to the locals up there and I'm sure they'll give you a heapin helpin handful if needed. Good luck.

Well here's round two of my effort, seeing as how all the rest must be just whaling in the fish.

You have a downrigger(s), do you have bal..never mind that part, cannon balls, preferably not the round ones from the dark ages, but heck for now they'll do. Keep an eye out for either the flatter pancake shaped ones or torpedo weights, they track straighter and don't swing back as far. Downrigger release clips, there's many different models, I prefer the "Offshore" black ones, they're small and they work. Depending on what fishing line you use, mono 14-17lb is lots sufficient, let out about 20 feet of line with your spoon attached, squeeze the release and insert the line about 1/2 way, do a controlled "lower away the cannonball" meanwhile paying out line from the rod. Say at 50 feet down, stop cannon ball, place rod in the rod holder and gently retrieve some of the line until you have a good curve in the rod. If you use braided line, you may find that you have to insert the line all the way into the downrigger release and even then, it may pop off on its own, too slippery for my liking. If you see fish on the F/F, you can either raise or lower the cannon ball to get into the preferred zone. Don't forget to pay out line while lowering and retrieve if you come up higher. Now for this part REALLY pay attention. Some people drag their bal..cannon balls on the lake bottom to stir up the mud when chasing lakers. If you get hung up between rocks, fishing nets, etc, have a dedicated pair of sidecutters that stay right beside the downriggers, you can, others have and paid the price, get sucked down if you get hung up in the nets, or from wave action if you get hung up on bottom. Go to the locals up there and I'm sure they'll give you a heapin helpin handful if needed. Good luck.

Excellent info Fisherman...thats what I needed..the side cutters plan is invaluable..I have allready sunk a boat /truck and it sucked. No need to do it again...goin out in the am. will let ya know what happens...

Later Dale

Excellent info Fisherman...thats what I needed..the side cutters plan is invaluable..I have allready sunk a boat /truck and it sucked. No need to do it again...goin out in the am. will let ya know what happens...

Later Dale

check out www.spoonpullers.com loads of info there for ya

solid advice from fisherman...stay to the west side when you come out of the harbour and fish around the bay ...focus on 80 fow....i know its hard to stay on it but get as consistent as you can ...the structure drop off (as you know) is very aggressive....50 feet to the east and youll be in 300 fow...3 day outing last year in lions head we pulled 13 salmon and two bows...then it was back to the big lake ...cuz we can run two rods per person...(gbay is only one)

As fisherman stated in his set up instructions ...i might add ..Dont forget your cheater/slider....essentially it is a 4 foot piece of fishing line with a snap swivel on either end....attach a spoon on one end ....and the other end to your main line and throw it overboard....the curve of your line will draw that lure (roughly) halfway down to your cannon ball depth....

honestly i cant ever say i have ever caught a salmon going slower then 1.9 MPH...( lakers yes )or faster then 5MPH...

i could give you my exact speed ....but that would just be wrong...and i would have to kill ya ... :sarcasm:

Good Luck ...youll figure it out...

Key components....thermocline / speed / bait

Edited by Twocoda

To be honest you're not on the best salmon spot going . . . but you can still get them. Sadly, G-Bay was overstocked some years ago. Due to the overstocking, the fish ate all the baitfish and now the life cycle has left the big fish with less fish to eat. If you go up to Meldrum Bay you should find some Salmon. We marked LOTS of salmon on the opposite side of G-Bay last week, so they are still there. @ Meldrum you'll get into some nice rainbows as well . . . always a nice bonus.

Try to keep these things in mind as you fish, and if the fish you catch aren't necessarily needed, put them back for another day. Salmon up there have enough problems.

Cheers and good luck,

Ryan