Anyone fished in Colorado??

Dutchy

I heading to Colorado for a week, it is for work, but should be sufficient skiving time. Will be in Snowmass, just wondered if anyone has ever fished in that area.

Cheers

Dutchy

Just naming the state is kind of vague.

What do you want to target?

What do you like fishing for?

Are you near the rockies?

Do you fly fish?

If trout is your thing I would suggest reading a quick John Gierach novel - that'll get you the feel for Colorado pretty quickly. He fishes the rockies and basin lakes, for trout exclusively I believe. He also mentions the national parks and describes the surrounding waterways and he's always a great read for all-things-angling.

Cheers

What do you want to target?

What do you like fishing for?

Are you near the rockies?

Do you fly fish?

Trout,

Trout,

Right in the middle, a few miles from Aspen

I do flyfish.

Thanks for the info on the book, I'll check it out. :thumbsup_anim: I know there are some good brook trout streams up in the rockies, just wondered if anyone had direct experience.

Well sir, you're in luck. John Gierach has about 15 books and most of them centre around that area of Colorado. I would put myself on a steady diet of Gierach before you go and you probably won't ever look back.

With no first hand Colorado experience myself, here is what I've gathered that you can expect.

Lots of fishing pressure, but not so much that spots are ruined.

Cutthroat Trout - higher up in the rockies

Cutthroat/Rainbow Crossbreeds.

Browns

Average size trout are like around here - 12-16", but the bigger ones are there and you can get monsters.

You'll have to check the regs as I believe there are several fly-fishing only rivers in the Rockies around those parts.

Also, be sure to look up each and every national park in the area - I know they are plentiful and they should provide some good information. The fishing in them is strong from what I can make out as they stock them.

It sounds like a lot of the streams/rivers in the rockies are in Gorge type settings, so you should be extra cautious while wading.

Have a great trip and post a great report upon your return.

Ryan

Well sir, you're in luck. John Gierach has about 15 books and most of them centre around that area of Colorado. I would put myself on a steady diet of Gierach before you go and you probably won't ever look back.

With no first hand Colorado experience myself, here is what I've gathered that you can expect.

Lots of fishing pressure, but not so much that spots are ruined.

Cutthroat Trout - higher up in the rockies

Cutthroat/Rainbow Crossbreeds.

Browns

Average size trout are like around here - 12-16", but the bigger ones are there and you can get monsters.

You'll have to check the regs as I believe there are several fly-fishing only rivers in the Rockies around those parts.

Also, be sure to look up each and every national park in the area - I know they are plentiful and they should provide some good information. The fishing in them is strong from what I can make out as they stock them.

It sounds like a lot of the streams/rivers in the rockies are in Gorge type settings, so you should be extra cautious while wading.

Have a great trip and post a great report upon your return.

Ryan

Thanks for the info Ryan, much appreciated. I hope I can post a good report too :whistling:

The Roaring Fork and Frying Pan Rivers are the main attractions in that area and there are a number of smaller creeks as well. If you are short on time, you might want to hire a guide as they'll be able to put you on good water right away.

Yeah, I managed to find one in Aspen, $260 for 4 hrs seems abit steep, but you only live once :thumbsup_anim: I'll see when I get there.

It's been a lot of years since I fished the state but there is some very good fly fishing to be had.

Maroon Belles was decent and isn't far from Aspen, Gunnison/Crested Butte was very good for larger cutties and other trout,Leadville had some great reservoirs(bellyboat or canoe/kayak req'd).

Most lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park had decent numbers but smaller trout. I really enjoyed the the hike up to Long's Peak and stopping to fish the several lakes along the way. The view's were astounding!

Best suggestion I can give is to go to the Chamber of Commerce to get free info on the different fishing areas, then make your plan based on that and go visit the local shops for more specific info.

Have fun!