NF - Listing my house Privately

Ryan,

We bought our first house brand new through the Sales Agent for the builder. That one went okay.

We sold that house privately to friends of friends and bought our second house privately off the owner (who was a Realtor herself, just not a good one!). This deal went okay. They were "on the ropes" from speculating in the market at the time and were stressed to the max!

We sold that second house through the same Realtor that had our current house listed. This one was a disaster! The Realtor is very successful but had to be one of the worst people I have ever dealt with. She was making money on both ends of the deal and did diddly squat!

John F appears to be much more than a true Professional to me. Any advice I have ever seen him offer on this board has been from the heart and rock solid! Be thankful we have people like him teaching the future realtors of the world.

I wish you the best of luck on sorting all this out. You have a beautiful home and have done a nice job of renovations. I truly understand the reasons for your decisions. After all the hard work, it must be tough to walk away from this place?

Best of luck to your family and let us know the final outcome!

John F appears to be much more than a true Professional to me. Any advice I have ever seen him offer on this board has been from the heart and rock solid! Be thankful we have people like him teaching the future realtors of the world.

Aw shucks. :blush:

Thank you for the kind words. It really just comes down two things - taking pride in my profession (and I use that word reluctantly) and being lucky enuf to find a great bunch of folks to hang out with on OFC. I get a lot of entertainment and knowledge from my association with OFC folks and if I can put something back in that's of value, then great.

I know there are a lot of people out there who are reluctant to get involved with my industry and I understand why given the amount of negative commentary that goes around about us real estate people. Sure, some is warranted. After all, there are approximately 50,000 licenced people in Ontario and some are bound to be less than impressive. Unfortunately it paints all of us with the same brush and I figure I have to do what I can to offset that. Buying and selling real estate invariably involves a lot of emotion for the participants and it's gotta be tough for someone already filled with nerves & trepidation to feel comfortable putting so much trust in a salesperson they don't even know. I get that. It's why so many of you have been in touch with me privately to discuss personal real estate problems. And it's why I'm happy to help. There's a kind of bond formed among us in this group and in other similar groups. In fact there's a whole enterprise out there called affinity marketing (or simply networking) which tries to identify groups with related interests and encourage them to deal with their own kind for this very reason. Often it involves some form of discount as well but the key to it is the bonding through common interests.

JF

Guest Johnny Bass

I know many people that have sold privately and saved alot of money. Sure real estates will be able to hook you up with more buyers but all you need is to hook up with the right one.

Now with the h.s.t added to real estate commission, if gives people even more of a reason to sell and buy privately.

I wonder if you can advertize your home on your local paper,kijiji, or craigslist?

Anyways, good luck with the sale. Its a very nice home.