Trading Creeks

JohnF

Are there any out there who just get tired of their local creeks and would like to visit some other guys' wading territory? I tend to hang out in a 4 or 5 mile stretch of the Thames near Stratford and frankly, the bass numbers are limited but the fun is still there. I can't imagine a few newcomers is going to spoil the fun for us locals. I seldom run across anyone else already in any of my creek spots but then I tend not to stay in one place. I like to move, sometimes pretty good distances, looking for the smallmouths in little holes that catch me by surprise. None of my water is overly deep and viz is usually good so there's not much difficulty involved in wading. It's more about balance on the tricky rock bottoms. We do have a few nice flat bottom spots though.

I'm not suggesting it's worth anyone's time to drive a long distance for what our area offers but the creek tends to be fairly small and isolated from roads and can be quite pretty in many spots. I hunt smb's, pike and the incidental carp or sucker. There's always something to see. Deer, beaver, wild mink, snapping turtles, bottom dwellers and assorted creek life. Sometimes I just get a kick out of the big carp and suckers swimming around my feet. I'm always entertained even when I don't get into fish.

Lately the bass are running bigger than normal. Since opener I've caught 3 18 inchers which is pretty good for the river. The pike tend to stick to their own areas so I pretty well know when to use leaders and when I can go straight hook/line. The water's shallow so topwater is good, twitched floating minnows, or shallow crankbaits. I lean towards tubes and wacky worms.

For gear I like light and simple. I carry my tackle options in a small shoulder bag with an adjustable strap for deeper water. I use the lightest rod/reel possible as I'll often go for hours without leaving the water. Spinning rigs make the most sense although I've been playing with a 6' casting rod. I'm determined to add flyfishing to my bass repertoire this summer.

I usually wear waders but wet wading isn't a stupid idea. I recommend a pair of river shoes though. I have extra waders or boots for those who don't like to get wet and most prefer to use them the first few times out at least.

I realize this is dicey sharing creek knowledge but I like to think of it as simply trading. I would never spill the beans on someone else's spots. When I get someone new out on the water I just play it by ear about how much I share with them. Like I said most of the spots around here aren't that much of a secret. It's more a case of who has the will to wade for hours to find some fun. Sometimes we just jump in the car with our waders on and drive to a different spot.

So there's an invitation to folks from close by. If you want to see the creeks I play in let me know and we can arrange a g2g. I won't promise huge numbers of fish but you'll see some nice country from the water and hopefully get a few bass and/or pike. I always like meeting new OFC friends. Haven't been let down yet.

JF

What a great offer John!! That is what this board is all about.

I'm pretty sure there are lots like me who would really like to experience some new scenery but have no idea where to start, or are just a little shy about blundering into unknown territory. I've had a great guide introduce me to my area so that now i know all the places I can and can't, or should and shouldn't go.

Hint. We don't get trout up this way but I understand there are streams down southeast of here that hold some brook trout. You know anything about that? :thumbsup_anim:

JF

That is a very generous offer John - I'm surprised this topic hasn't attracted any takers.

I'm still feeling my way round some spots (mostly flyfishing) so may well drop you a line when I have something worth trading :)

That is a very generous offer John - I'm surprised this topic hasn't attracted any takers.

It's a great offer Cuzza but I'd bet large that any offers going one way or the other would be going via email or personal message and that's the way it should be anyhow.

I'm pretty sure there are lots like me who would really like to experience some new scenery but have no idea where to start, or are just a little shy about blundering into unknown territory. I've had a great guide introduce me to my area so that now i know all the places I can and can't, or should and shouldn't go.

Hint. We don't get trout up this way but I understand there are streams down southeast of here that hold some brook trout. You know anything about that? :thumbsup_anim:

JF

Just moved to Woodstock two years ago, originally from K-W area. Haven't really done any brookie stream fishing in years...used to go all the time with my dad. Wish I could help you with that John.

I'm still feeling my way round some spots (mostly flyfishing) so may well drop you a line when I have something worth trading :)

I think I've already posted it here, but part of my plan for this summer is to get some smallmoutns on the fly. Mebbe you could give me some lessons on my water. That's a great trade for me.

JF

Maybe Johnny Bass will take youup on your offer. I'm sure that the ensuing conversation would be worth the drive! LMAO

Nice of you to offer John!

HH

I'll bet Johnny's a good guy. He just takes some of this stuff too seriously. I learned long ago not to sweat the small stuff. There's way too much heavy stuff way too close to each of us to worry about without fussing about the stuff over which we have no control.

I'd fish with him. We'd probably get along fine. We'd sign an agreement not to mention HST beforehand. :clapping:

JF

Just moved to Woodstock two years ago, originally from K-W area. Haven't really done any brookie stream fishing in years...used to go all the time with my dad. Wish I could help you with that John.

Don't worry about payback. I'm lousy at accounting anyway. It's really just an excuse for another day in/on the water. C'mon up.

JF