first time taking dogs up north

bulltron

Yeah some sort of first aid kit is a good idea. sometimes your to far in the bush to get to a vet right away.

we went camping with our manchertser terrier and she stepd on a broken bottle and cut her paw. we were at least 2hrs from the closet vet. benadryl also saved us, when she got stung by a bee.

I had reservations the first time we took Bear remote camping a couple years ago at Crotch Lake. Turns out they were somewhat well-founded.

See the latter portion of this post to see his adventure: My link

Last year we left him at his favourite kennel for the trip.

I'm not saying don't take your dogs. Just be careful, they can disappear in an instant.

It took my pup out camping for the 1st time at around 3 months, found an island to tent on that kept him somewhat contained. He's been out to other camps in the last month, he's almost 5 months now. Just make sure they come when called. My last dog was a rescue and didn't really get to camping until later in life, she never got used to it. Seems like the pup will be a good outdoors dog.

Good tips here, some great ideas as well.

Muph.jpg

ctmpphpe0cU5z.jpg

2 things i would watch for. If they chase raccoons by water, the pups could be in for it. Racoons have been known to jump on the backs of dogs and drown them. Since your dogs are big boys it would be only a couple minutes. I have a newfoundland and I heard from my breader that 2 racoons almost drowned one of his years back and newfs are incredibly strong swimmers.

Part 2 is, since you have males. Wolves have attacked dogs and killed them many times, by sending out a female in heat. Then ambushing dogs. Wolves are wild pack animals and would not have a problem taking down a big dog like a mastiff. I would not let them to far from you if there are wolves in the area, and keep them on a long leash if you have to go do your business.

The chance of either of the above happening is very unlikely but it happens every year so do be aware.

As for Coyotes? My 8 month old newfoundland has chased them away from our house before with her bark and my old golden (r.i.p) used to growl at them while camping up north and they always took off.

I love having my dogs with me while camping. It should be a great trip for you and the pups!

Cheers!

Ours go with us whenever we go away (only exception was Lakair). They always stay very close. Our Australian Shepherd / Collie (Sierra) is afraid of the dark lol but our German Shepherd (Chevy) is a very good watch dog, She'll let us know when something is close.

Sierra

n746020104_230521_9951.jpg

Chevy

n719965920_506825_9095.jpg

Thanks everyone ... lots of good advise! ... things I defn' wouldn't have thought of!

Hopefully all goes well with out trip, a couple more weeks till I go, but wanted to get this out early, just to be safe ...

thanks again :)

Ours go with us whenever we go away (only exception was Lakair). They always stay very close. Our Australian Shepherd / Collie (Sierra) is afraid of the dark lol but our German Shepherd (Chevy) is a very good watch dog, She'll let us know when something is close.

Sierra

n746020104_230521_9951.jpg

Chevy

n719965920_506825_9095.jpg

chevy looks awesome out on that rock.. he try fishing? lol..