Anyone Ever Eat Perch?

LegitFish

If cooked properly the "WORMS" parasites, will be KILLED and just add to the protein count in your system.

I once remember watching a program on "Marketplace" ..The average Canadian eats 2Kg's of bugs/parasites a year without even knowing.

Of course I eat Perch.. even some wormy ones 5-10 per fillet sometimes.

But I have a limit....Unlike a lodge I used to work for.. we would clean INFESTED perch cover them in coating/batter and serve them to the guests...NOBODY ever got sick and even returned the following year and looked forward to the fish fry.

Randy

:canadian:

Guest Johnny Bass

I eat perch only when the water is cold and have seen no worms and they taste great, but they can be annoying to clean all those little buggers!

Guest gbfisher

Ate my last Bag'O'Perch last night. I freeze them in water. Taste as fresh as they were when caught this passed spring. I can tell ya they didnt last long that's for sure. :blink:

One of the few specifics I remember from my young days fishing with Dad was that he'd carve up the first Perch brought in to check for worms. He used to say that it was warm water that caused the worms in Perch. If the first fish was wormy we didn't keep any more. But they were his favourite eating fish, along with Walleye, or Pickerel as he called 'em. Next was probably Smelt brought home by the bucket full and cleaned and fried fresh in butter. They were awfully good too.

JF

I have to agree with everyone on here, Perch are awesome! Very tasty and easy to catch too. I also agree that they do taste better when caught out of cold water... My favorite times to catch perch for eating are from November to March - their meat is nice and firm with no grubs or black spot (where I fish anyways) I don't target them in the summer at all....I'm pretty sure though if you were to go to Simco and fish the deep water you'll get some good clean eaters.

Love perch. Just fried some up on Friday, its one of the few fish I buy from the grocery store because when I see yellow perch from Canada/Ontario I know its likely from lake erie and is fairly fresh and not a farmed species.