Bass Opener Huron County

Dutchy

Been waiting for bass opener for a long 8 months. JJcanoe, Gil and myself met up at Timmies in London at 5am and then headed north to our spot in Huron County. Skies weren't looking too favourable, but we got the boat ready.

dsc02608jj.jpg

We headed out working a dropoff and JJ hit the first bass of the year.

dsc02609.jpg

Gil missed a bass in the shallows and being the opportunist that I am, I cast my heavyweight worm over to the approximate area and bang, first smallie.

dsc02610mp.jpg

We couldn't help but notice the tag with MNR on it. So we weighed it, 2lb 5oz, info will be sent in. I can honestly say I have never caught a tagged fish before.

Then it was Gils turn, hitting a nice largie:

dsc02611x.jpg

Then I hit the next one.

dsc02612g.jpg

We moved around hitting large weedbeds, nothing taking and we ended up in a channel between two weed beds.JJ gets a hit, sets the hook and low and behold he swings this on board. Completely unexpected:

jjpike.jpg

Then Gil gets a big run, line spilling from his reel. I put my rod down to get the net just as he loses the fish. It was either a pike or a real big bass, which are in there. So, I pick my rod up and start reeling in and something takes off. Another one ends up on board:

dsc02615y.jpg

It fell in the boat, started bleeding, I figured we have one for the pan, but I am fair, so I'll give him a chance. We put him back in the water, 10 secs, he's gone, headed straight down into the weeds. We stayed in that area for awhile and he never resurfaced. Then the heavens opened and I mean opened, my blackberry will never be the same again. It was 11am, we headed in as did everyone else. Sat in the van listening to Uruguay-South Korea, rain stops and out we go again:

Total weather change. While we fished, others chose to sun themselves:

dsc02619uv.jpg

We boat a few more, mainly largies:

dsc02620j.jpg

img2162td.jpg

Just as we are heading in, I get a little tug on the line figuring its just sunfish. Start reeling in and off it takes. Ends up being the largest fish of the day:

img2163z.jpg

We had a great day, probably 25 bass between us and 3 pike. Truth being that we missed more than we actually caught. :wallbash:

Cheers

Dutchy

Great report! Looks like that lake has a healthy population of fish! Thanks for sharing.

It does have a healthy population of fish, average size is very good for the lake. Potential problem is that the local mennonites do take alot of fish from there. However, it does not seem to be affecting the bass population at the moment but Richard will know more about that than me.

Looks like a blast and a great opener . . . probably worth the damage to the blackberry. Great report & thanks for sharing.

Blackberry is toast :stretcher: and yes it was worth it :thumbsup_anim:

yep, had a great time out there until the monsoon hit! probably 50+ gallons of water in the boat by the time we ventured back out of the car.... My 1st fish was a smallmouth(we didn't get a pic) right off the launch about 4 casts in, we were close enough to lock the truck with the remote, funny to see the mennonite "b-trains" (for all you truckers out there) Horse, pulling a buggy, pulling a big wheeled trailer with their tinnies on it. I almost thought they would unhook the horse and use it to back the trailer down the launch!LOL

jjcanoe

awesome report Dutchy! Glad to see the sinkworms are still paying off for you! :thumbsup_anim:

Those things are awesome. Pretty much all I use now and I never fail to get at least one bass no matter where I am fishing. And this time a pike as well :thumbsup_anim: