Bronte - Fri.Night and Sat.morning

icefisherman

Finally!

What two trips they were....

over 20 fish caught on Friday night (Brian/Slowpoke can add his take on that part of the trip;-))) between 5:30 - 9:30 (stayed until 10:30 but bite died)....and again on Saturday morning - over 20 fish caught as well....

Mix of bows, cohos and Kings....with some of them pushing 20's...40-60 feet down in 130 fow...

Spoon bite mostly...everything was firing....main lines and cheaters as well...

It was about time to have a trip where you hardly sit down ha ha ha...

Few shots of my neighbor who came with me and Brian on Saturday morning despite the rain(first time trolling on the Great lakes)...was he all smiles and happy ;D :D

IMG00015.jpg

IMG00018.jpg

IMG00017.jpg

IMG00016.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

What a trip!

I departed London for Emil's place on Friday afternoon and our first order of business was to level out his trailer hook-up and modify/install a part from Lund that converts the walk-through into a casting deck. Emil thought it was going to take 3 hours but we probably wrapped it up in a little over an hour. During this time, Emil's neighbour (supposedly named John) came over to offer his input and 'direction'. I was immediately suspicious of 'John'; there was something about him. Don't get me wrong, I liked him but couldn't figure out what he was trying to hide. We made plans to meet up with 'John' for Saturday morning at the launch ramp.

So, casting deck is perfect and we determined a 0 or 3/4" rise receiver was needed to level out the trailer. We used my receiver (3/4" rise) for the Friday night trip and Emil commented how much better the ride felt and seemingly better acceleration.

We launched at Bronte, combined our sources intelligence and determined we would set up just short of our intended destination and troll in. We started hitting them within moments; going 4 for 5 in the first 30 minutes and it was a steady pick all night long. Emil clearly had the hot rod that evening with 75% of the hits coming off the starboard rigger. Lure wasn't the only factor either. I matched his setup but didn't see the same results.

IMG00394.jpg

IMG00395.jpg

IMG00392.jpg

IMG00396.jpg

IMG00397.jpg

IMG00398.jpg

IMG00399.jpg

As Emil mentioned, the fishing shut off and we packed it in for the night.

We arrived back at Emil's for dinner and a beverage before hitting the sack around 1AM. We got back up at 4:30 in hopes of duplicating our results.

We met up with 'John' at the ramp and he arrived over burdoned with gear. A complete camera crew!

directing1.jpg

It was only then I realized 'John' was not John, but Ron. As in Ron Howard, Acadamy Award winning director! I knew he was hiding something!

tn2_ron_howard_21.jpg

Okay, perhaps it wasn't Ron but John could have been his younger brother! Great guy to fish with, an entrepreneur and I wish him all the best in his endeavours.

Saturday morning results may have duplicated Friday evening but we had to work for it. We set up on our spot from the night before but the fish hadn't. We pulled the plug, moved in shallower and began picking them off. My rods were a lot more active today so Emil decided to move ;) again. Okay, perhaps the fishing shut off when the rain started. The rods were silent while endure a light rain and we thought we try our spot from Friday again. They were there! It was a steady pick from about 10 until noon when the meter ran out at the launch. We enjoyed some doubles and nearly triples. Resetting rods only to have them fire again as we sat down.

It's been a while since we've had a day like that. It felt like the Blue Zone but with bigger fish and a tenth of the gas burned!

Good times, Emil and thank you for your hospitality.

Edited by SlowPoke